Wellness

What it means to be “That girl” in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

In 2022, let’s all strive to be our own version of “that girl,” whether it is a new year’s resolution or a long-term goal.

Last summer, the term “that girl” went viral among TikTok’s boss lady and GenZ niche communities. But what exactly does it mean to be “that girl.” That girl wakes up every morning at 8 am to write in her gratitude journal and meditate on a Lululemon yoga mat. This morning routine is followed by a breakfast consisting of a glass of green juice and an avocado toast ahead of her busy girl-boss day. You get the gist. The main point is, “that girl” is the main character of her life and will romanticize the sh*t out of her life.

After falling into TikTok’s rabbit hole, I observed that although there are different ways or “habits” to become #thatgirl, the main theme centers on wellness, lifestyle, diet, travel, and fashion. This resonates with larger motifs of discipline, consistency, strength, and self-care. In order to attain a healthy and happy life, it is important to prioritize and work on ourselves. 

However, seeing the picture-perfect montages on TikTok and YouTube can seem a little unrealistic depending on your financial situation–-the daily supply of fresh greens for juicing or the travel expenses for leisure can be very expensive. Also, a lot of what is shown on the Internet is for aesthetic; there is a specific image of a #girlboss or #thatgirl. It is very one-dimensional and it only encourages comparisons between ourselves and others. Keep in mind that someone else’s depiction of “that girl” will be very different from yours. We should be “that girl” in our own way.

We can romanticize our lives by finding joys within the small moments and things, all while establishing habits that allow us to be mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy. Being “that girl” is really about the mindset and the attitude we have on improving ourselves. Our wellness should resemble productivity, making positive transformations, eating foods that make us feel good, or making the most out of our non-negotiable time

Here are some ways that I’ve been practicing self-care and defining my non-negotiables. 

1. Having set principles to feel empowered and in control. This is OUR life. We must set rules and define who and what really matters to us. 
  2. Developing goals or creating a bucket list. This will help us sustain that momentum in life and allows us to try new things. 
  3. Taking yourself on a date. You should not rely on a partner for love and romance. Let’s normalize being romantic with ourselves and embracing self-love. 
  4. Cooking and eating healthier meals. There is a relationship between food and mood and we should always be conscious of what we let our bodies consume. 
  5. Reading books. There is great wisdom in reading. We only live one life, but through books, we can gain wisdom and knowledge from countless individuals. 

These are a few ideas but again, everyone has their own interpretation of self-growth and wellness. With a little more self-care and love and attention to our priorities, we can all become #thatgirl.

Lauren Kim is a Los Angeles native and a senior at the University of San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and a Business minor. Being in college, Lauren has a growing enthusiasm for marketing and branding. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, documenting food adventures on her foodie Instagram account, watching movies, and exploring the city.