This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

by Alexa Davison

With midterms being here again, I know things can get super hectic. If you are feeling mentally drained or just in a funk, you are not alone. We are at the point where we are so close to Thanksgiving break and are possibly looking forward to going home and seeing our families, so we may be craving some comfort at this time. Here are a few necessities to get us through this next period! We got this.

1. Fresh Air

Getting outside is always so refreshing and a great way to recharge your batteries. Even if you can’t make it to have a beach day, you can sit and study outside, go for a walk, plan a picnic with friends, or my personal favorite, utilize the hammocks at the Price Center. I also have been absolutely loving the outdoor RIMAC at Marshall Tennis Courts for my girls who love to lift!

2. A good read

A good read always takes me into an entirely different universe. Sometimes for a breather, I love to pick up a new book. My favorite I’ve been reading over and over is The Princessa by Harriet Rubin. It’s an absolute must for girls who want to become better versions of themselves and conquer their environment. The Princessa is based off The Prince, a Machiavellian novel, but specifically geared towards women.

3. a solid playlist

Usually, when I am craving comfort or I’m homesick, I listen to music I used to listen to at home or what I listened to at a specific point in my life. I have a giant playlist called “Tampa” which is every song I listened to in high school. I highly suggest creating a playlist of feel-good songs to listen to that give you a taste of home in the best way possible. I’ve created monthly playlists since 2019 and I absolutely love going back through them to see what I was listening to at each point in my life.

4. jade roller

I was gifted a jade roller recently and had no idea how much I was missing out on. Putting it in the freezer before using or with your daily moisturizer is an amazing self-care technique.

5. social media detox

This is a super cliche one, but putting down social media for a little while really does wonders for the mind. Disconnecting can be scary and bring FOMO but personally, I love spending time with myself and not worrying about what others are up to.

Another tip I’ve recently learned and been utilizing is setting timers for studying. For essay writing and revision specifically, I set a 30-minute timer and put my phone away completely. For that 30 minutes, my goal is to be completely focused on my work, knowing that I can have a 5-10 minute break after. This has helped my time management immensely since learning this technique.

6. fuel your body & your brain

Making food is a major stress coping mechanism for me. I feel so refreshed after cooking a meal or baking something fresh. Further, grocery shopping can be super fun when you have meals in mind that you are excited about. Food isn’t just about your body, it also fuels your brain and provides great energy. Don’t forget to fuel yourself!

7. deep cleaning

Laundry, a long hot or cold shower, dusting and cleaning your space, folding and putting clothes away, and making your bed goes such a long way. I feel so much more productive when I feel clean. This past week I redecorated my room and I feel even more at home, and effectively get work done because I’ve created an environment I love being in.

8. friend dates

Lastly, phone a friend! Getting out and seeing friends always recharges my personal batteries. Getting coffee, studying, or just going for a drive with music and good company helps destress so much. I know it can become super easy to isolate when stressed and busy with schoolwork, but it’s important to take care of your relationships as well. For this season, get out, do something you love, catch up with a friend, and know that you will absolutely make it through this crazy time with midterms and school ramping up. We got this!

Tampa, FL grown. First-year at UCSD, social psych major. Lover of coffee, long drives, good music, and a race car enthusiast