This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

If there’s anything I’ve learned this last year it’s that sometimes being alone is something to appreciate and enjoy. The pandemic saw almost everyone become home-bodies: once the outside world opened back up and we were finally able to enjoy each other’s company in person, it seems like certain individuals (myself included) were so excited that they filled up every second of their schedules with meet-ups, hang-outs, and kickbacks. If you’re anything like me, you’ve spent many nights trying to find people to surround yourself with, never allowing for what might be considered a “dull moment”. But as time goes on and the novelty of finally being around people again wears off, it becomes clear just how precious time alone actually is. Once upon a time, I might have complained about being bored at home but now I cherish the moments in which I can simply exist. It’s not something that, at twenty-three years old, I ever imagined experiencing. 

It might seem sappy or cliche to think that time alone is good for the soul, but it’s true. When else can a person learn to be alone — which is not the same as being lonely— if not by themselves? Learning a new skill, finding a new hobby, learning more about yourself as a person, are all overlooked qualities of time alone. But most importantly, it can be a time of self-growth. Recharging, reevaluating, and reimagining yourself is one of the most basic aspects of life. Remember, the person you spend the most time with is yourself, so you might as well work towards becoming someone you can look in the mirror and feel is a little better today than yesterday. 

This isn’t to say that being in others’ company is a bad thing. On the contrary, when you’ve made sure that your own needs are met, it becomes noticeable to those around you. Think of it as a domino effect full of self-love, self-care, and self-awareness, one act of kindness for yourself leads to another, and another, and another. 

Maria is majoring in English Literature at UC San Diego. She loved reading, writing, and sewing. She hopes to one day become a published author in the YA genre.