kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Simple Ways to Stay Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The college lifestyle may not lend itself to being healthy, but that does not mean that healthy living is an impossibility. So, HC UCSD wants to introduce some easy-to-integrate habits that will lead to a healthier you. Here we go! 

1. Shop Smart. When you go grocery shopping, it is always beneficial to make a list prior to getting to the store. This allows you to stick to what you need and stay away from things you don’t. Try and focus on protein, multigrains, fruits, and veggies. Also, don’t shop on an empty stomach; you might fall victim to buying your every cravings as soon as you enter the store.
  2. Stretch. You don’t have to break out the yoga mat, necessarily, but before you go to bed or right when you wake up, do some simple stretches to help your circulation. Other benefits of stretching include reduced stress levels, better balance, and increased flexibility.
  3. Snack. To keep your metabolism strong and avoid binge eating, snacking is a must. Of course, this does not mean you have to snack on chips and candy, but rather choose small portions of fruits, granola, and the like. This kind of snacking keeps your hunger in check and allows you to eat less when meal time comes. It also keeps your metabolism up and working continuously though the day for a more energized you.
  4. Sleep. This rest is easier said than done. Everyone wants to sleep, but it doesn’t always seem to fit into our hectic schedules. Make sure to make time for your body to recover properly. Lack of sleep has disastrous side effects, but the right amount of sleep easily keeps your body in a healthier state.
  5. Stay Hydrated. Water is essential. Period, end of story. Do NOT skimp on drinking water throughout the day. UCSD makes staying hydrated easy with their numerous Hydration Stations that are scattered around campus. So, be sure to keep a reusable water bottle on you at all times!

We wish you all the luck in getting to a healthier you, collegiettes!