This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As midterms week comes to an end, you might have had this kind of experience. You walk out of the midterm feeling like you killed it only to later see your posted grade and feel like you got punched in the stomach. For us students, it’s easy to feel pressured to be an overachiever and strive for perfect grades every quarter. While it’s good to set high goals for ourselves, remember that a GPA number does not define who you are.

Getting a low grade on your midterm doesn’t mean that you are a bad student. Unfortunately, it’s so easy to feel demoralized afterward. You might even ask yourself what the point is to keep trying to do well in the class. As cliche as it sounds, it’s important to remember to never give up. Be confident in yourself and don’t let your insecurity about one grade hold you back! It may take a little bit of work, but with the right amount of motivation and effort, it’s possible to have a huge comeback.

Image via Giphy

Throughout our young adult lives, we will face many challenges and get knocked down every once in a while. The important thing is to know how to pick yourself back up again. There have been times where I put in so much dedication into studying for my midterm and still not do nearly as well as I hoped. It was hard to stop beating myself up about it, especially after getting straight A’s the previous quarter. This experience taught me that everyone has successes and setbacks in life. No one can be perfect all the time, and the sooner we accept that, the happier we’ll be.

Many students don’t realize that they can’t rely on good grades when trying to get a good job. While getting straight A’s in your classes is impressive, an employer will hire students who are well-rounded and passionate, even if they’re grades are not the highest. So if you starting worrying about getting a job after college if you get a D on your history midterm, remember that experience and skills are just as important. Through volunteer work, internships, involvement in clubs, and great references from professors, you can prove to employers that you are more than just your GPA.

With not doing so well on a midterm comes the added pressure of the looming second midterm or final. Trying to bump your grade back up can get overwhelming and it’s okay to reach out to others for support. Starting a study group with your friends from class or talking to your professor during office hours are great ways to improve your chances on the next test. Plus, taking advantage of your support system and school resources reduces the stress of preparing and studying everything by yourself.

The disappointment and anger from not doing so hot on a midterm is never a good feeling. Pressure for getting good grades can come from anywhere. Maybe your parents have been breathing down your neck to get a 4.0, maybe you’re trying to get into your dream grad school, or maybe you’re trying to satisfy your own high expectations. No matter what the reason is, it’s important to remember that there is more to life than getting good grades. The less pressure we put on ourselves as students, the happier we will be with our school experience.  

Image via Giphy

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)