Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

This is How I’m Dealing with Anxiety at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s been a stressful year and we’re not even halfway done with it yet. I know this was supposed to be the year, but I’m going to be honest here and admit that 2020 was relieved of its position in March when we started social distancing.

It’s been a month and a half since I’ve gone into quarantine and it’s a miracle I haven’t given myself a panic attack with the amount of anxiety and stress I’m under. But I’m making sure to take care of myself so that I don’t put my body under too much duress. 

One of the ways I take care of myself is journaling. I not only write about how I’m feeling, but I also make lists, such as my favorite songs or foods, to keep my mind at ease. I also write about what I want in the future and personal growth goals.

I also make sure to take at least five minutes to just sit outside or play with my dog. And when I have the energy, I play catch with my brother. Or if my mother intervenes, I help pull out weeds, water the plants and trim them. 

Another thing I do is read. Like, a lot. It helps that I have two bookcases full of books, half of which I have yet to read.

Or when I just want to let off some steam, I dance. I blast my music and dance around my room like I’m dancing it out with Cristina Yang and Meredith Grey in a Grey’s Anatomy episode.

All these things help keep me relaxed and grounded during these trying times. My anxiety may be a little higher than usual, but I’m determined to not let it control me.

Alexa is a fourth-year English major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Interests include: listening to music, exploring, and reading.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus