Apartment Cleaning Tips for the Busy College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We’ve all been there: midterms or finals week, papers scattering your desk, clothes covering the floor, snacks left everywhere, dirty dishes piling up and the trash and laundry baskets overflowing. With the stress of college exams, an insanely messy room can make you feel even more out of control. Here are a few tips to help you keep your space clean, even when you are really busy!

1. When you take clothes off the hanger and decide not to wear them, hang them back up immediately.

For many people, this is not a challenge. However, for many of us, this is quite an adjustment. How is a girl supposed to get ready without trying on three outfits, leaving them on “the chair” or the floor and then deciding to wear your friends’ clothes instead? But, if you make the effort to hang up or fold your clothes right when you take them off, you can prevent the stacks of clothes everywhere and ultimately less laundry because let’s admit it, sometimes you may toss a clean hoodie on the floor and feel the need to wash it after finally picking it up off the dirty floor.

2. Take time for projects that you like.

We all get sick of washing dishes, doing laundry and organizing drawers. So sometimes, take time for projects in your room that you like: pictures hanging with lights, cute wall decor or a DIY project from YouTube. After studying so much and being busy, you probably need a little break to focus on something creative. Creative projects can make you more productive and more fond of your space, which helps keep it looking clean and cute, despite how busy you may be.

3. Try your best to rinse out and clean dishes right after eating.

Again, you are just trying to prevent the tasks from piling up and stressing you out more. So after your midnight study snack of some cereal, try to rinse out the bowl quickly so that the food doesn’t get all nasty on those bowls and your room doesn’t smell.

4. Purchase some cleaning wipes.

Cleaning wipes are magical. Simply pull out a wipe for nearly any smooth surface and take away dust, bacteria, little messes and leave everything smelling wonderful. It only takes a couple seconds and can make your sad dusty desk look brand new.

5. Take the trash out when you go out.

Walking out of your room is the best time to take out the trash. Then you don’t have to walk all the way back up and it is over in seconds, no extra time taken from your day since you wear leaving anyways!

6. Invest in some bins and organizers for your room.

Cheap organizers can make your life so much easier! Too many times have we been digging through our drawer for that one lipstick (although we have several just like it, we need this exact shade!) and are unable to find it through all the mess, making our presentation that much more stressful. Buying a couple organizers for your makeup drawer, for your socks and undies or for your desk can really help you to keep everything organized without any effort.

7. Set a little time aside every day to do a little cleaning.

During midterms and finals, it seems like time and sleep are the only things we can’t get enough of. However, unwinding before bed can make you sleep better and be more productive in the morning. So, enjoy some YouTube or your favorite show on Netflix and mindlessly clean one part of your room, even if it is just folding jeans and putting them back in the drawer, cleaning the makeup off your desk or tossing out the unneeded papers from your floor. You will sleep easier and won’t have to try to move around the mess when you are trying to study.

All images via Google Images

Maddie is a recently graduated English major and is excited to enter the publishing industry.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)