Painted nails
Painted nails
Photo by Prathika Suvarna
Style > Fashion

The Top 5 Nail Colors To Get You In The Halloween Spirit

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re like me, Halloween seems to always come out of nowhere. October starts and I’m comforted by the idea that I still have weeks to find a costume, but before I know it, the decorations are up, and “What are you going to be for Halloween?” has replaced “How are you?” With less than a week left, I find myself with no ideas, costume or spirit. Instead, I’ve only finished the 3 for $10 candy bags that I swore I would leave out in the dorm hallways. But fear not if you’re in the same predicament as I am because I’ve compiled five nail colors I’m sure will get us in the Halloween spirit (friendly reminder to order your costume right now if you haven’t). 

The main reason I struggle with Halloween is because I love my style to be practical and simple. Getting a costume to only wear once doesn’t make much sense to me so when it comes to my nails, I like to paint them in shades that I know I’ll be able to wear before and after Halloween that will still suit my regular style. 

OPI: “Bring out the Big Gems” ($11.50)

In case you haven’t noticed, red nails have been absolutely everywhere. And yes, I’m aware it’s a classic color but I promise you every girl has red nails right now (ahem…red nail theory). An easy alternative for Halloween is going for a shimmery dark red. This way, if you’re feeling curious and experimental, you can try out the red nail theory and pair it with your costume. Perfect if you plan to dress up as the devil, Little Red Riding Hood or Cruella de Vil! 

OPI: “My Italian Is A Little Rusty” ($13.99)

Orange gets a bad rep for being the “ugliest color” but I promise you’re just looking at the wrong shades. If you’re not a fan of bright or neon oranges, join me and become a rusty orange enthusiast. Nothing screams fall more than pumpkins, so kick off your Halloween spirit properly with this beautiful shade. Just looking at this nail polish makes me want to stare out a coffee shop while listening to Taylor Swift’s new album and sipping my overpriced coffee. 

Mooncat: “Head In The Clouds” ($14.00)

Angels are one of the most common costumes and for good reason: it’s cute and easy to put together at the last minute. We’ve all been there (no shame in the lack of Halloween game!), but I would argue the best way to stand out from the many angels would be this iridescent white polish with blue shimmer. It catches the light in the most stunning ways and can be worn through the winter season. It’s easy to pair with any color, sparkly and just a smidge attention-grabbing (my favorite combination). 

Zoya: “Amara” ($12.00)

If you want your nails to be the center of attention for far past Halloween, look no further than this rich brown shade. Brown is undoubtedly having its moment right now, but “Amara” stands out with its copper undertones. It has depth and complexity, changing from a velvety shimmery brown (perfect for the velvet nails trend) to a metallic penny-like copper. If you love neutrals, this would be a great way to change up your typical nail color that won’t clash with your clothes. 

J. Hannah: “Eames” ($22.00)

Look, you either love it or hate it (I love it). If you think this shade is ugly, the brand won’t be surprised. J. Hannah is known for their innovative and polarizing way of looking at colors as concepts (their new shade, “Compost,” was inspired by a jar of olives and green caviar). To the untrained eye, “Eames” may bring up memories of learning about eutrophication in science class or seem like glorified green sludge. But trust me when I say there’s a reason J.Hannah takes pride in their “ugly cool” shades. From Tinker Bell, Poison Ivy and Tiana the Princess, there are endless ways to incorporate “Eames” into your Halloween look and stay looking stylish for a long time afterward. 

Picking a Halloween costume can be difficult, but choosing your nail color doesn’t have to be. The last thing I want to be doing is painstakingly painting my nails on Halloween Eve to match my costume and then removing it the next day because it doesn’t feel like me. I hope some of these nail polish shades spoke to you (please rock “Eames” with me)!

Hannah is a third-year student at UCLA, majoring in Psychology. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, grabbing coffee, and painting her nails.