The Secret To Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When I was in high school, my friend told me that every night right before going to bed she would have a glass of water. She did this because apparently Ryan Seacrest recommended it wake up feeling refreshed. I tried it and did not like it, instead of waking up feeling refreshed I woke up at 3am rushing to restroom with a strong urge to pee. Even though Ryan Seacrest’s life hack was not the most effective thing for me I still wanted to do something for myself that would allow to feel better in the morning, you know, just trying to become a morning person one day at a time. 

I am here today to say I have finally found the solution to waking up and feeling like a million and bucks and not like you got hit by a tractor. The secret is… use your sleep cycle to dictate when you should fall asleep. A sleep cycle consists of a light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep. An average sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes and is repeated throughout the night. If you wake up in the middle of a cycle this is when you feel groggy and tired. However, if you’re able to complete even at least on sleep cycle you’ll feel better than completing one and a half.

I like to use this website that helps me plan for my sleep schedule.

*images courtesy of Giphy

Mariana is a fourth year student UCLA majoring in International Development Studies and minoring in Urban and Regional Studies. She loves anything and everything with glitter on it. On her free time she enjoys eating acai bowls with her pet bunny, Lenord
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.