Wellness > Health

My Best Gym Tips: Conquering Fears And Sticking To It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I have always been intimidated by the idea of going to the gym. It seemed like such an unknown environment, full of confusing equipment I had never seen before and people that all knew exactly what they were doing. I was so scared of showing up and looking like a fish out of water that I avoided going for the longest time, even though I was really interested in trying weightlifting.

I was eventually able to overcome my fear and try going to the gym. And now I love going to the gym; it has become something that I look forward to everyday. So here are my best tips for overcoming that gym fear:

Research some moves and machines before you go

This is honestly what I found the most helpful when I was just getting used to going to the gym. I used to feel so intimidated because I had no idea where to start. But, I would look up leg day workout routine videos on TikTok and save them in a folder on my phone so I could copy the workout, and then when I went to the gym, I would have a super accessible video on my phone that would show me exactly what to do and how to use the machines. This was so helpful, and it made me feel like I had a better idea of what was actually going on.

Wear a cute outfit

The saying “look good, feel good, do good” is so true, and here is just another example of that. When I’m not feeling the most confident, especially when I was just starting out and had no idea what my place was in the gym, I found that I would feel so much better if I could just walk in feeling like my best. I still use this tip, especially to encourage myself to go to the gym when I’m not feeling the most motivated.

switch things up

It can take a long time – and a lot of trial and error – to find the things that you actually enjoy in the gym. But finding these things is important, because when you enjoy something, that is when you are actually going to stick with it. So I recommend trying out new workouts, new moves, new machines, anything that is out of your comfort zone and different from what you are used to. This will make things in the gym more exciting, and maybe you’ll learn that you love something you never even thought you would try.

find a gym buddy

This can make things so much less intimidating! Whether it is a friend that is experienced in a gym and can show you the ropes, or someone who is also new and will try new things with you, you are going to learn so much more than you would if you were by yourself. It will also feel so much less embarrassing to try new things if you have a buddy by your side.

I hope that these tips will help to make the gym seem a little bit less intimidating! I know that it can be scary at first, but the entire experience is so worth it, and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is such an important life skill!

Maia Hull

UCLA '26

Maia is a second year microbiology and immunology major and mathematics minor from San Diego, CA. She loves to read and write, snowboard, go swimming, and hang out with friends, as well as the occasional shopping spree.