Wellness > Mental Health

How To Survive As An Introvert At A 40,000 Student University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sitting at a campus size of 419 acres, UCLA is one of the smallest University of California schools. UCLA is known for its social life, which is no surprise given our location in one of the largest cities in the country. When you put these two factors together, you get a campus that feels a bit, well, cramped.

As an introvert, one of the biggest changes in attending UCLA was living on campus. Going from my isolated room back home to one of Hedrick Hall’s triple dorm rooms was certainly an adjustment. The packed social environment could feel suffocating at times, and it took (and is still taking) a lot of effort to adjust to it.

Luckily, I have some tricks that I’ve learned in my time here that can hopefully help some of my fellow introverts:

Take advantage of study rooms

Study rooms are a lifesaver here at UCLA. Not only is there a study room on every floor, but you can also reserve study rooms all throughout campus for up to 2 hours a day. These rooms are a great reprieve from social interaction. Whether you need to get some work done or simply want a place to decompress, the study rooms are a useful resource.

Find a spot on campus to decompress

Los Angeles weather is fantastic! It’s easy enough to grab a blanket, find a sunny spot, and take some time to yourself. The Sculpture Garden, Janss Steps, and the Powell benches are all great places to go. Get some sun, take some time to yourself and take the opportunity to decompress.

Work around your roommates’ schedules

Share your schedule with your roommates and have them share theirs with you. That way, you can know when they’ll be out for club meetings, class or work so that you can take some time alone in your room. This is one way to get alone time in your room.

Hang out in lounges

Floor lounges are often packed, but few people take advantage of Hill-wide lounges. I can’t tell you how many evenings I’ve spent on call with my girlfriend playing video games in Fireside Lounge. The lounges are a great place to get some time to yourself.

Use the libraries

We have amazing libraries on campus, which can be a great place to study or decompress. I favor the pods at Young Research Library, but there are numerous others throughout campus that are great places to retreat to if you need alone time. Here is a list of libraries on campus at UCLA.

Go to take-out dining halls

UCLA De Neve Dining Hall from above
Original photo by Ciara Murphy

I’ll be the first to tell you that braving De Neve without any headphones can be super overstimulating. Take-out dining halls like Bruin Cafe and Rendevous can be better alternatives for us introverts. You can order your food and take it somewhere that’s a bit quieter than the dining hall so that you can be alone.

Organize alone time in your room

Don’t forget that talking to your roommates is always an option. If you need a guarantee of alone time that you aren’t getting, talk to your roommates to see what times you could have the room to yourself. Your roommates should be understanding, especially if you give them the same courtesy.

Talk to CAPS or CAE

Worst comes to worst, UCLA has resources in place to help you through your time here. Surviving at a big university like UCLA as an introvert can be over-stimulated and often stressful. Take advantage of the mental health resources available at UCLA; they’re here to help you.

Being an introvert at a small university with 40,000 students is difficult. But if you know how to navigate your time here, you shouldn’t have too much difficulty handling it. There are lots of resources available to all kinds of students; all you have to do is take advantage of them.

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.