Wellness

How To Fight Against SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) During The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Ever feel super unmotivated or moody during the transition from fall to winter, or spring to summer? It’s common for people to simply describe it as just being in a funk or experiencing the “winter blues,” but it’s actually a mood disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Quite an appropriate acronym, isn’t it? It tends to occur around the same time of the year and is characterized by depressive symptoms.

Woman staring at phone at night
Photo by mikoto.raw from Pexels
According to the Mayo Clinic, people experiencing SAD may have the following symptoms: feeling depressed throughout the day, losing interest in previously enjoyable activities, having low to no energy, feeling hopeless or worthless, changes in appetite and having problems with sleeping.

When I first experienced it, I was a bit surprised and couldn’t figure out why I was feeling so sad, lonely, depressed and anxious. I felt really confused about these unexplainable feelings of sadness and anxiety that would happen during the wintertime. But, hearing that there was an actual name for my feelings helped me feel validated and led me to figure out how to cope with them.

But, first, why does this even happen? As the seasons change, the reduced level of sunlight can have a huge influence on your biological circadian rhythm, which is your body’s internal clock. Your body might be having a difficult time adapting to the external changes in the environment. The lack of sunlight may also be affecting your levels of serotonin and melatonin, which influence your mood and sleep, respectively.

stuck indoors wearing mask by Pexels
Photo by Nandhu Kumar from Pexels
It also definitely doesn’t help that we are currently stuck in a pandemic and are being forced to quarantine with these negative thoughts or feelings that may be more prevalent as the weather gets colder. Thankfully, there are definitely some practical ways to cope with the symptoms and give you the mental energy to enjoy the holidays as you should.

First, get as much sunlight as you possibly can. You don’t have to wake up earlier, but if you do want to experience more hours of daylight, then I would recommend waking up whenever the sun rises. Staying stuck at home can be contributing to these negative feelings, so taking a walk outside for around five to 30 minutes can improve your mood while getting in your daily recommended amount of steps. Of course, make sure to do this only if it’s safe and feasible for you! If taking a walk is not an option, try to open up your blinds and increase the amount of natural light in your house as much as possible. Another option to get some light is called phototherapy, or light therapy, which can help stimulate your internal body clock. You can find a lightbox online, but make sure it uses white or blue light and is used specifically for mood disorders!

Second, try to exercise regularly. In addition to a daily walk, try to do a small five to 10-minute workout every day whenever you can fit in the time. I would recommend doing this in the morning when you still have a lot of energy and motivation. Doing a bit of exercise will help boost your mood and release serotonin and endorphins!

One common symptom of SAD is that you feel lethargic and fatigued. Ironically, working out can help you get more energy and improve your mood. Even though you feel lethargic, try to do some workout movements that will get your heart racing.

Third, make sure to eat good and filling foods that are healthy and can fulfill all of your daily nutrient recommendations. Vitamin D is one you should specifically try to watch out for, because this is a vitamin that we usually get from sunlight, but most people are Vitamin D-deficient during the winter. While you can also take supplements, try to get it through your diet. Some food recommendations are salmon, eggs and mushrooms. Try to avoid junk foods and snacks, which can be filled with sugars and carbohydrates that can lead to feeling heavy and discontent.

Lastly, try to relieve your stress. What is your main source of stress? Being aware of what is causing your stress is the first step in trying to cope with it. How can you practically try to alleviate that stress? Once you figure out what exactly is leading you to stress out, think of ways you can actually deal with it. Some ways are journaling, talking to friends, doing some sort of hobby, watching a new film or whatever will bring you joy, even if it’s momentary.

Smiley face on the street
Photo by Jacqueline Munguia from Unsplash
This is an unusual winter that we’re going through, since it’s mostly a time of being stuck at home and being restricted in the things we can do. So, it is more important than ever to make sure yu are taking care of yourself. Remember that the negative feelings you’re experiencing right now are not forever. They will go away, but there are things you can do to actively have control over your feelings instead of letting them control you. You’ve probably heard this many times before, but you’re not alone. So, reach out to others, and talk about these feelings that you’re having. You never know who may or may not be experiencing the same thing. I hope that you spend this holiday season with positivity, good food and good company!

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.