Wellness > Health

Exclusive Media Preview: Adidas AM4LA Sneaker & Speed Factory Pop-Up Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On May 24th, we had the opportunity to attend the adidas AM4LA Speed Factory Lab Experience pop up and see an exclusive preview of the new AM4LA sneaker. The Speed Factory is located at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel in Santa Monica, with the beautiful beach right across the street, and open to the public on Friday May 25th and Saturday May 26th.

We were extremely impressed by the decor and interactive experiences offered to attendees at the pop up. We enjoyed their vegan appetizers, cotton candy, DJ, and customizable adidas t-shirt/tote bag station. We also love how eco friendly adidas always is; the tote bags they customized are made from recycled material and printed with eco friendly ink.

As splendid as the decor was, the highlight of our trip to the pop up experience would have to be the Speed Factory tour itself. Inside, we were able to participate in a series of interactive experiences testing out their new technology.

All attendees were given a barcode to scan at each interactive station to collect their data for review afterwards. We then got our faces scanned, feet scanned, and did a run test, which filmed and tracked us running for 1 minute.

These various tests collecting data about our running patterns is also the same technology athletes use to create custom adidas shoes. This just shows that in the next few years, this technology will expand and be used for the general public as well. We were also able to test the AM4LA running shoe with interactive experiences inside the popup. The tour was really engaging and enabled guests to get an in-depth look at the new product. 

The shoe itself is so beautiful and incredibly sleek. As stated on the HYPEBEAST website, the AM4LA is “the first Speed Factory constructed design that incorporates Parley Ocean Plastic, and features a 100% recycled upper and pairs the construction with the beloved BOOST midsole and a Continental rubber outsole.” We love the blue ocean color and the emphasis on eco friendly materials used to create the stylish and comfortable running shoes.

Ben Herath, VP Design for adidas Running, explains, “With AM4LA, we set out to reexamine and change our traditional ways of design and production. We want to make sure that we not only deliver the best for our athlete, but also do what is best for our planet. By leveraging Speed Factory’s digital production capabilities, integrating Parley Ocean Plastic into it, and pushing our designers’ creative boundaries, we have successfully created a high performance running shoe while simultaneously reducing waste and unnecessary by-products.”

AM4LA will be arriving at the adidas store in Santa Monica (across the street from the pop-up) as well as select Consortium retailers on May 25th. Make sure to stop by and get your very own pair of these blue beauties. AM4LA will also be available online starting June 2nd.

Check out adidas on Instagram and their Website for more updates! 

Renée is an alumna at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and served as the HCUCLA Editor in Chief and one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2019-2020 school year. She is passionate about storytelling and pushing for more Asian American representation in fashion and entertainment. 
Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com