Batiste dry shampoo station and snake plant.
Original photo by Julie Ta
Style > Beauty

Bruins Refresh & Reflect With Batiste: How I Destressed This Midterms Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Presented by Batiste x Her Campus

May 2nd, 2023 is still a complete blur. Stuck in the doldrums of midterms week, I randomly had a day packed with three classes, a workout, a lunch date, and a party with three different pre-games. I found myself racking my brain on how to fit in a hair wash.

But, thankfully, the hair gods took pity on me that day. Her Campus at UCLA had teamed up with Batiste, America’s #1 dry shampoo brand, to treat students to a little self-care break amidst the chaos of midterms season. The Reflect & Refresh event challenged us to set aside our stress and focus on ourselves, refreshing our minds and our hair! 

Blue yoga mats on the grass on UCLA\'s campus.
Original photo by Julie Ta

At the event, Her Campus and Batiste invited Bruins to get our blood flowing with a 45-minute workout session led by renowned fitness personality Katie Austin. With over 1.8 million followers on social media, her own app, appearances on the TODAY show, and hosting gigs at the Super Bowl and NBA Awards, Austin has truly done it all. It was such a treat for her to stop by campus! For our Refresh & Reflect event, she focused the workout class on building a mind-body connection to help us destress, and she consistently encouraged participants to listen to our bodies. Austin also shared how we can incorporate small, no-equipment-needed moves into our everyday lives, overall helping us become stronger and more mindful of the connection between our bodies and mental health. As someone who usually works out on her own, Austin’s leadership was a super exciting change of pace for me. She kept my energy and motivation up throughout the class with her encouraging words, as well as doing all the moves right there alongside us. 

Austin then sat down with Batiste’s mental health expert Dr. Courtney Tracy to have an open and honest conversation about mental health. Dr. Tracy’s clinical background, 10+ years of experience, and multimillion-person following should make her intimidating, yet her warm and approachable demeanor allowed students to feel comfortable with opening up to her. The duo invited us students to participate in the Q&A and fostered an inclusive, open-minded environment for all. Tracy placed special emphasis on how midterms season in particular can create an extra stressful environment, reminding our group of how important it is to take a moment to breathe. As someone who gets caught up in the stresses of school and the quarter system very easily, this was a great reminder for me to take a moment and center myself.

Batiste products on a blue yoga mat.
Original photo by Julie Ta

Following the good sweat sesh, we Bruins headed over for some pampering at the Refresh & Reflect stations. We touched up our hair with Batiste Dry Shampoo in a matter of seconds, saving ourselves valuable time to do the activities that bring us the most joy. With their wide range of scents, sizes, and colors, everyone is bound to find the dry shampoo that works for them with Batiste! Personally, I went with my mom’s trusty brown dry shampoo that I’ve seen her use for years. Truthfully, I’ve never seen her touch another dry shampoo brand (mother does know best). The brown tint made the product blend seamlessly into my brunette curls and gave them that extra oomph without anyone knowing I had secretly skipped a wash.

Not needing to go all the way back home and wash my hair made a big difference to my busy day on campus. Instead of spending my afternoon sprinting to and from my dorm, after the Batiste event, I had the chance to sit down for a long lunch with a Her Campus friend from our social media team!  

A basket of Batiste dry shampoo next to a snake plant.
Original photo by Julie Ta

Usually my hair washes need to be planned out and basically inked into my calendar—I know you all can relate, especially my fellow curly girls! But, trying out the Batiste dry shampoo meant I wasn’t worried about squeezing a hair wash into my day and was able to just enjoy myself and our two hour BPlate debrief. And truly, the dry shampoo touch-up kept my hair looking runway-ready all day. It even lasted me through the night until I got home at 2 AM after a date party!

As a full time student who works a job at the campus gym, exercises six days a week, and enjoys going out on the weekends, I spend a lot of time planning out my hair washing schedule. During especially busy times like midterms, I’ve often wished I didn’t have this extra task to juggle. By adding Batiste dry shampoo to my haircare arsenal, I’ll now save valuable hours, freeing up that time to support my mental health and wellbeing!

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Ciara is a third year UCLA student from Oakland, CA who is majoring in Public Health. She loves to travel and explore new places; especially when there's any kind of ocean involved. When she's not busy workshopping her next Her Campus article, you can find Ciara sipping her morning coffee somewhere sunny, relaxing in her hammock, or chasing a sunset.