Wellness > Mental Health

5 Songs To Listen To When You’re Anxious About Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Music has been a prominent part of my life for as long as I can remember. Whether you’re making it, singing along to it or just listening to it, music has an unmatched therapeutic power. Specifically, certain songs in my life have stayed constant in their ability to ease my anxiety. These songs provide instant relief and comfort as soon as I listen to them, and I have fallen back on these five songs many times throughout college. Here are my top five songs to listen to when you’re anxious about life:

Rainbow
Rainbow by Kacey Musgraves via Youtube

“Rainbow” by Kacey Musgraves is a song that I truly have never heard anything like. The song paints an image of mellow waters and pastel skies. It revolves around the idea of constantly feeling as if there is a storm going on around you. As someone who is used to my life consistently being in a “stormy” state, I sometimes don’t even notice the times when it isn’t raining. This song reminds us that there is actually a whole lot of brightness around to bask in.

worthy
Worthy by India Arie via Youtube

“Worthy” by India Arie is the song I play when my doubts about my life and future take over my being. This song clears that fogginess in your mind when you are overwhelmed with life. The words of this song are truly beautiful, and every single person should listen to this song. This song helps you reclaim your power and divinity within.

i am light
I Am Light by India Arie via Youtube

“I Am Light” by India Arie feels like a gentle hug. It’s a reminder that despite your mistakes, past, family and everything that makes you feel imperfect, you are beautifully human. This is a great song to meditate to, as the repetition of the phrase “I am light” becomes a mantra. This song nourishes and heals your soul.

trying my best
Trying My Best by Anson Seabra via Youtube

We all need a good crying song, and for me, that is “Trying My Best” by Anson Seabra. This song is the epitome of what it feels like to hit rock bottom and not know what to do. The chorus of this song reels you back and reminds you that as long as you do your best, that is enough. And though your best may look different every day, that is okay. This song reminds you that you are enough exactly as you are, regardless of if your environment may challenge that.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole via Youtube

How could I not put this one in? “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole is an absolute classic and undefeated song for alleviating worries all around. You can’t listen to this song and not feel at ease with life and as if you are floating on a cloud above all your worries and struggles. His voice never fails to make me feel like my problems are not as life-shaking as they feel. This song reminds you that we really do just live on a floating rock and that life is what you choose to focus on. You can be in a place physically that may not be ideal, but listening to this song will transport you mentally to an absolute paradise.

I love meditating; however, sometimes it can be very difficult for me to focus on silence or words without getting distracted. I have found that listening to these songs feels like a form of meditation. If you’re in need of a hug, just lie down, close your eyes and listen to the words of any of these songs.

Bianca Lagman is a 4th-year UCLA student majoring is Economics. As an INFP, her hobbies include singing, knitting, and getting in a good workout!