ball baseball brown 54330jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ball baseball brown 54330jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

5 Life Lessons I Learned From 13 Years of Playing Softball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For as long as I can remember, sports have always been an immense part of my life. I have played soccer, volleyball and basketball, but it was softball that I really fell in love with. From tee-ball to travel ball with my favorite team (go Batbusters), I pretty much dedicated my life to it. There were definitely ups and downs, but this sport has taught me more than I could have ever imagined. Here are five essential life lessons that I learned because of softball: 

Relax. 

As an athlete, it becomes so easy to start overthinking every little thing. If I was not playing as well as I wanted, I would search for every possible flaw and try to fix everything at once. Obviously, I learned that this overwhelming process was not the key to success. If I made one little mistake, it was not going to be the end of the world, even if it sometimes felt like it. After all, why was I stressing over a sport that was supposed to be my outlet, my distraction from all the responsibilities of my daily life? It was not until I took a deep breath, told myself to trust the process and efficiently troubleshot little by little that I was satisfied with my results. In general, we all tend to overthink every little imperfect aspect of ourselves. If we overwhelm ourselves with everything, we could miss out on appreciating parts of our lives that are supposed to bring us the most joy. As long as we have a plan and go for it, it is okay to sit back and enjoy the ride once in a while.

Being able to take constructive criticism is a must.

As I became more serious about softball, it was essential to make sure that I was constantly improving. While I put in work by myself, the most significant source of my improvement was constructive criticism from my coaches. Sometimes they would instruct me in a nice way, and sometimes they wouldn’t. Although those not-so-nice times were not the most fun, they were definitely necessary. These coaches were the ones who could pinpoint what mistakes I was making and how to fix them. If we want to improve in several aspects of our lives, we need to become comfortable with receiving constructive criticism from others. If everything was sugarcoated, we would never be able to improve our bad habits. Do not be afraid to ask questions and always be open to honest answers.  

Be the best version of yourself.

Growing up, I was always the smallest girl on the field. I did not have as much power as other girls. I was not a home run hitter. But I had my own techniques as an individual. I had speed, and I knew where to hit the ball where players weren’t. It took me a while to understand that everyone has different ways of doing things and that my version of success was different from others. So, I made it my goal to win within myself. This meant running harder to a pop fly that I did not catch in the last inning. It meant being ready to hit a better pitch because I swung and missed a riseball last at-bat. It simply meant trying to become a better, smarter version of myself than before. This is something I keep in mind whenever I find myself comparing my success to others. We do not need to become carbon copies of each other to become successful. Everyone has their own unique abilities and paths. So focus on yourself, improve what you need to improve and you’ll be able to achieve anything. 

One aspect of your life does not define you.

Since I have played softball for most of my life, it sometimes led me to believe that a softball player was all that I was. I tended to forget that I had plenty of other valuable parts of myself. I was successful in school, I was blessed with a loving family and I always had friends that I could rely on. But for some reason, if I was not playing well or injuries kept me from being on the field, I felt like there was nothing left for me. I felt like I was some sort of disappointment. But the truth is that I was no more or no less valuable than before. It was hard to come to terms with, but the world had so much more to offer me than just softball. Yes, it was a substantial part of my life. But, I had other goals and a whole lot of purpose that had yet to be discovered. If there is only one thing you feel defines you, remember that you have endless abilities. There is so much more to life, and you are capable of all of it. 

The blood, sweat and tears are all worth it in the end. 

Without a doubt, my most memorable moments in softball were the times when my team won big games. We would rush onto the field, screaming, jumping and embracing each other with wide smiles on our faces. In these moments, all I could feel was pure happiness. The countless hours of working on team defense and hitting until our hands were covered in blisters had paid off. Sure, there were a few times I wished I could take a break, but these moments made me realize that all the hard times were worth it. I was at peace here, and there was no other feeling in the world like this. No matter what your goals are, whether it is winning a championship or getting a degree, we all have to put in the work to achieve them. As tempting as it is to slack off during your workout or skip that 8am lecture, stick it out. Why? Because finally reaching your goals will be that much more satisfying. 

Although there is more to life than sports, I am eternally grateful to be a softball player. Softball has provided me with new perspectives that I can apply to other parts of my life. It has allowed me to look at the grand scheme of things. Overall, the game of softball has been one of my most rewarding experiences, and these imperative life lessons are just the beginning. 

Ashley Ha

UCLA '22

Ashley is a third-year psychobiology major at UCLA. When she's not watching YouTube, she enjoys singing, songwriting, playing piano, and spending time with family and friends. She is also obsessed with Community and believes Britta is NOT the worst.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.