Career

My Professional Bucket List for UCF Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Graduation is going to be here in the blink of an eye. While the semester just started and four months feels like a long time, I know that it is going to fly by. Especially when I have so much to do–and I’m not just talking about the fun college things. 

The last semester of college means that it’s time to get ready for a world outside of academia. We’ll be trading in our textbooks for business casual attire and hopefully a comfortable life (once inflation and the housing markets figure themselves out). I’ve compiled a list of resources to take advantage of so I can go from pursuing a college degree to accomplishing some of my dream goals.

Learn Skills Through LinkedIn Learning

Junior year of college, I learned that our UCF accounts grant us access to LinkedIn Learning programs. These are the equivalent of master classes on professional topics spanning from certification programs like Microsoft’s Career Essentials in Cybersecurity programs to skills like image editing in photography. In that class, I went through a whole course on how to use InDesign through Adobe. 

A great way of bolstering your resume is to be able to list skills that you have, and LinkedIn Learning is something to help you hone your skills. LinkedIn Learning is a subscription platform, so it is definitely something to take advantage of since it comes with our student accounts.

Look for a Job Through Handshake

A good introduction starts with a good Handshake… In this case, I’m talking about a professional networking platform that UCF students have access to. More specifically, it is meant to help college students find jobs as theft explore career options, find jobs and internships, and connect with employers. 

UCF requires that you watch an orientation video before you join, but it is well worth it. By logging in, you’ll have access to over eight hundred and fifty thousand employers at the touch of your fingertips, maximizing your chances of landing that dream job.

Check My Resume at Career Services

The first step to getting your dream job is having a resume that impresses any recruiter. Beyond just having the skills, one of the best ways to professionally present yourself is to have a thorough resume. Don’t know how to start?

Don’t worry; while we’re UCF students, we have access to UCF’s Career Services. While there’s a tab on their website about building your resume and cover letters, what students should take advantage of are the drop-in hours. If you drop into the Career Services office between 11 AM-1 PM or 2 PM-4 PM, they are willing to critique resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles on Monday and Friday. It’s a great way of having someone check you before you put your foot forward.

NeTwork, Network, Network!

UCF is one of the most populated schools in America. While that can be intimidating, that also means that the networking opportunities are vast. You never know who you’re going to meet, or where the people around you will end up. 

While it might be hard to build relationships in your last semester, now might be the time to reinforce any relationships that you already have. Reach out to that professor you had a year ago and remind them of who you are, or use this time to explore your network and reach out. You never know who has a connection to a potential opportunity you might be interested in.

Consult Someone at CAPS

Life transitions can be hard, so why not get ahead of it? The UCF Couseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a wide range of mental health services to support the UCF community. There are a variety of services, from single solution focused sessions to consultations and crisis services.

As someone who has spent a majority of my life in academia, I know the transition out of college is going to be hard. Instead of getting to that point and stressing about it then, I plan to see someone before I graduate to help me come up with a plan as I adjust.

Keep My Health In Check at the UCF Health Center

If you don’t have health insurance, the UCF Student Health Services is a resource you should take advantage of. In order to make sure students are operating at optimum health, students’ primary care consultation and evaluation are covered by the health fee (in your tuition). Other services and materials can either be billed to insurance or you can take advantage of the low self-pay prices.

While I’m looking forward to the bright future soon to come, I am hoping to maximize this last semester here at UCF as well. I know that I cannot truly say that unless I take full advantage of what my tuition covers, but I’m excited to see what this semester holds.

Kristi currently and MFA candidate at the University of Central Florida studying Creative Writing. A former resident at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, she loves pop culture, food, and the humanity of people. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading a book, spending time with loved ones, or going on and on about how cute dogs are. Or, specifically, how her dog Damian is the most handsome angel boy.