How to Survive the Second Half of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There’s a huge difference between the first and second half of the semester. As if it wasn’t hard already—at this point—things get a bit harder. All of a sudden your classes are assigning more rigorous work with similar due dates. Everything seems to hit you all at once and it gets harder and harder to stay motivated to finish. With finals to study for, eight-page papers to write and the withdraw deadline long gone, the only thing left to do is finish strong. Here are some tips on how to survive the second half of the semester without losing it:

Create a time management chart

When you have 20 assignments, four essays and four finals to study for, it becomes easy to scream at a wall and not do anything at all. Organization is key to getting things done without going crazy. Create a time management chart and equally space out every activity you have to do for the rest of the semester. Write down the due dates on a calendar or journal and schedule yourself to do them three to four days in advance so you don’t have to worry about doing it last minute.

Take breaks

Though it is very important to work hard at this time, make sure you are not overwhelming yourself to the point of burning out. Fit time on your schedule to take care of yourself. Even if it is just three to five minutes between assignments to stretch and take deep breaths, utilize that time. Take a short walk, eat a snack and drink some water to keep your mind fresh and functioning.

Limit distractions

With phones, television and parties at every corner, it is super easy to spend a lot of time not doing assignments. One of the worst things you could do at this time is rotate between three apps all day or party at every opportunity. Let’s admit it, we all get to that point of tiredness where we just want to sit on the phone all day watching Netflix or scrolling on Instagram. Limit your distractions to small break times throughout the day and stick to them. Practice the discipline of limiting your phone and television usage in order to optimize your study time.

Get support when you need it

Don’t forget that help exists. You are not alone in this; the whole school is with you. If you feel too stressed out and need help, get help. Whether it’s from a group of friends to study with and talk to or the support services on campus, take advantage of the help that is all around you.

In the end—and most importantly—do not stress! You can finish this semester strong. I know it feels like there’s too much to do at one time, but remember everyone is going through it with you. After coming so far (only five weeks left!) use these resources given to you to keep the strength. Remember that you have the power and the ability to pass all of your classes! Own the end of the semester, don’t let it own you!

Images: 1, 2,

Ondina is a junior at the University of Central Florida! She is majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Film. She grew up watching movies every weekend for 20 years and has become a huge movie-lover. She began writing scripts for short films and movies in middle school, then writing short stories in high school, and longer stories in college. She plans on changing the world with her stories and films in the same way that other stories changed hers. She also loves being with friends, drinking and spilling tea, and going to Universal Orlando’s theme park. Catch her adventures on Instagram @iamqueenondina
UCF Contributor