This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’re like me, you tend to be busy constantly. Whether it’s work, school, clubs, or anything else in the world, there is always something you have to do. However, do you know your limits? Personally, this is something I have struggled with in my last few years in college. I still can hear my dad’s voice in my head, warning me, “You’re overdoing it!” If only I heeded his warning. I always felt like there was something I needed to do, to the point that I never had any free time to myself. This affected me dramatically in ways I did not even think were possible.

Here are some signs that you are stretching yourself way too thin:

You don’t feel well

This one is prevalent in my situation. If you are constantly catching colds or viruses, it may be a sign you are overdoing it to the point where your immune system is suppressed. When you stress yourself out too much, your body produces cortisol, a hormone that reduces your body’s white-blood-cell count which lowers your ability to fight infections.

Another way stress can be affecting your physical health is by triggering an underlying condition. In my case, I was a pretty healthy individual. I ended up stretching myself too thin freshman year, stressing over my roommate, classes, being away from home, and a long-distance relationship, resulting in a feeling of intense fatigue every day. I started noticing I was getting minor fevers and rashes throughout my body. My joints and organs ached. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, lupus to be exact. When talking to my doctor, we discovered stress triggered the gene hidden in my body, thus allowing lupus to come to light and change my life forever.

Autoimmune diseases are a complicated subject and they’re very hard to diagnose. You have to go through years of doctor appointments, blood and imaging tests, surgeries, and more. It took me over a year to be properly diagnosed, with many misdiagnoses along the way. I always warn people to monitor their stress levels, because you never know what lies in your body and may be triggered by stress.

You are constantly tired

Do you feel tired a lot? Do you find yourself feeling like any energy you have left is slowly being drained out of you? If so, then you might be overdoing it. If you’re persistently filling your day up with plans to an extent where you are not resting enough, your body will make you rest, even at the most inconvenient times. When you rest, your body begins to heal itself from any damage inflicted by your activities. Not making time for rest will more than likely cause you to crash.

You are easily annoyed

Most people don’t realize how consistently overpacking their days has an effect on them emotionally. If you’re stressed, you start to become more and more irritable and argumentative. Sometimes, you may not even realize it until you reflect on it later on. You could feel as if you are not getting enough done, or that someone or something is preventing you from achieving your next task. Either way, your overall mood just deteriorates.

You no longer do the things you enjoy

Do you have a hobby? Maybe you enjoy crocheting, going to the gym, or hanging out with your friends. A sign that you are overdoing it is that you are no longer doing the things you love. You may have so much on your plate that you do not section time for yourself, often neglecting the things you love to do for the sake of achieving the responsibilities you put on yourself. Think back, when was the last time you did something for yourself and yourself only?

Your performance drops

You may think you are giving 100% in everything you do in your day. However, if you’re stretching yourself too thin, you may not be putting in as much effort as you think. Your judgment may be clouded with thoughts and anxieties. You may find yourself unable to attain certain goals, whether your body is physically too exhausted or your brain fogs up to the point that you’re struggling to think clearly.

Overall, stress is a serious issue, and it is extremely potent in college life. If you’re constantly planning your day to the fullest, it may lead to serious consequences. You deserve to have the life you have always wanted, but not at the expense of your mental, emotional, and physical health. Just remember to take time for yourself. Saying no to plans or extra projects is okay. Communicate with friends and family, and let them know that you need your personal time. I promise you are not missing out on something as important as your own health.

Caitlin Simpson is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in both Broadcast Journalism and History. She has a passion for storytelling, the weather, and helping others. She hopes to become a Producer for a local news station in her hometown of Palm Beach, Fla.