6 Ways to Stay Fit During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Christmas lights are going up and temperatures are beginning to drop…along with your motivation to workout.   With holiday parties galore, it can be difficult to make healthy decisions for you and your body.  We have come up with six tips that will keep you moving right through the holiday season!

1. Take an in-door class.

Cold, dry air is not ideal weather for a run. Taking a class that takes place in-doors is a great way to stay in shape when the weather is not ideal.  Beat the cold and take a class that is in-doors at your local gym such as yoga, Pilates, or zumba to keep up the heat.

2. Download an app and keep it on your front page.

The apple and android stores have many different types of fitness apps to offer. Download MyFitnessPal to keep track of food and exercise or Silva Relax for mediation and relaxation.  The newest iphone 6 and 6 plus even come with a health track for fitness and food monitoring! 

3. Invest in a fitness band.

We know what’s on our Christmas list this year!  Wearing a fitness band on your wrist is a constant reminder to get up and get moving, especially on those chilly days where you just want to stay in bed.  With Black Friday and holiday sales approaching, you can likely get a deal for this little piece of fitness gold.

4. Watch the drinks!

While we love instagramming our festive holiday drinks, it might be best to think twice about sipping on that adorable gingerbread martini.   Be wary of liquid calories, especially in alcoholic beverages that are high in calories and sugar.  Try limiting yourself to one drink. Instead of high-calorie beverages, try drinking water with lemon or lime or getting your pumpkin spice latte with skim milk instead.

5. Use Pinterest for at-home workouts.

Snowed in and can’t make your 10 a.m. yoga class?  Head over to Pinterest to find great at-home workout plans and inspiration.  They have suggestions fit for all types of workout regimens. Even if you have an established at-home workout, Pinterest is a great place to look for motivation to get you moving!

6. It’s OK to have your slice of pie and eat it too!

Just because you are trying to stay fit, does not mean you have to deprive yourself of delicious holiday foods.  It is all about balance and portion control.   So go ahead, it is the holidays after all! Pour a bit of extra gravy on your plate and have a slice of your mom’s homemade pie!

Lauren Whalley (pronounced like the Pixar movie, Wall-E) is a fashion and lifestyle enthusiast who loves sunset yoga, Sunday brunches, and all things whimsical.   You can frequently find her on strolling along Park Avenue, on the coast of Florida beaches or showing off her #DisneySide at Disney World.   She is currently a Junior at UCF studying Advertising-Public Relations with minors in Hospitality Management and Writing & Rhetoric.  Her favorite blog is written by her idol, Lauren Conrad, who she looks to keep up with the latest lifestlye trends. She dreams big and after college plans on marrying Niall Horan.   Follow Lauren on twitter at @LaurenWhalleyy to get a glimpse into her enchanting life. 
UCF Contributor