5 Tips On Returning To School After The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s January once again, and you know what that means: your local gym is packed, the Christmas tree comes down, and the spring semester starts. I don’t know about anyone else, but I have to drag myself out of my home to return to school each January. December is a reward that’s always hard to break away from. I feel unprepared to get back to the rush of the semester and deeply miss spending time with my family and friends. Tasks are already climbing up my agenda and organizations are already scheduling Zoom meetings. It’s unfortunate, but the holiday season has ended. 

It’s important, however, to remember that the semester is sure to bring exciting things. Aside from the usual stress of coursework, there are basketball games and student club socials to attend. Soon, Target will be filled with Valentine’s Day chocolates and decor, seniors will finally graduate, and, most exciting of all, spring will arrive. I can’t wait for warm weather again (and to munch on Valentine’s Day chocolates). Here are some ways you can maintain a positive mindset for this Spring semester. 

1. go on frequent walks

I’m still struggling to internalize this, but a change of scenery is always helpful to break away from harmful thoughts. It sounds cliché, but returning to nature after a long stressful day of classes is almost guaranteed to improve your mood at least a little bit. Even if you’ve just stayed inside all day and are feeling lazy, put on some sneakers and walk around your campus for a while to clear your head. 

2. incorporate your hobbies into your routine

I’ve heard many people say that once classes begin, they almost feel as if they forget who they are. Suddenly, they have no more time for their hobbies. Their schedule is filled with studying, classwork, and commuting, and whenever they do find a couple of minutes to spare, they spend it scrolling aimlessly because it’s the quickest way to offer their mind relief. 

Don’t let that be you! Read a book you enjoy for at least 20 minutes. Do a word search puzzle a day or open a jigsaw puzzle and try to finish it by the end of the semester. You could try to write a poem a day, crochet or knit for 20 minutes, paint magnets, etc. The possibilities are endless—choose a hobby that fits in with your schedule and try to stick to it, regardless of how stressful it gets. 

3. treat yourself

Listen—we’re all just coming back from the holidays. That means no more gingerbread, Christmas cookies, Ferrero Rochers, apple pies, chocolate cakes, etc, and if you have a sweet tooth like me, that can be unbelievably agonizing. We get it. You’re still craving sugar. I’ve been eating a Ferrero Rocher or a piece of dark chocolate each day since I left home. Don’t be afraid to munch on something sweet! 

4. keep in touch with your family and friends

I know there will be days when it’s difficult to call your loved ones, but calling or texting them regularly can be rewarding— for both you and for them. Especially after the holiday season, a period noted for familial warmth and festivity, it can be depressing to suddenly return to life without them. Keep them in your heart by sending them texts of how your day is going or pictures of things they would like. 

5. write down the good things that happen each day

I’m guilty of being too hard on myself, and because of that, automatically guilty of also being pessimistic in situations that require optimism. Don’t let your positivity slowly drain as the semester goes on—right now, you’re looking forward to everything coming, so keep it that way! At the end of each day, write a short list of the highlights of your day, even if at first glance there isn’t much to be grateful for. Even if it’s just “got home safely” or “treated myself to coffee,” taking a moment to recognize the good things can help you approach each day with hope. 

I know these tips aren’t a lot, but your life is in your control—own it. Good luck this semester and take care of yourself!

Raiya Shaw is an undergraduate student at the University of Central Florida pursuing majors in Sociology and English: Creative Writing. She loves performing slam poetry, solving jigsaw puzzles, and consuming large amounts of coffee.