The Wrong Ways to Handle Thanksgiving Weight Gain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

What does classic Thanksgiving food mean to you? Do you see creamy mashed potatoes underneath a pool of warm gravy or do you see layers of saturated fat? Does a delectable piece of pumpkin pie make you say “let me at it!” or “ew, 300 calories!” If you chose the second options, you’re probably not looking forward to a special family meal. Instead, you’re apprehending weight gain. While being health conscious is not a crime, there are a few things you should avoid. 

Fasting: Abstaining from food before the big meal is a bad idea for two reasons. First, starvation, even for a day, is unpleasant and abusive. You’ll be irritable, less energized, and maybe even in pain. Second, by the time you’re sitting at the dinner table, you’ll be so hungry that you will grab everything in sight. So much for not overeating! If you really want to exercise restraint, it’ll be much easier after a sufficient breakfast and lunch. It is perfectly fine to put thoughts of dieting aside for the night and focus on the bigger issue – annoying relatives.

Excessive Exercise: After a night devoted to eating, you may be motivated to hit the gym a few extra times during the week. However, this temporary workout plan can become addictive, especially if you are eager to burn calories. Remember that over exercising has many negative side effects. This includes sore muscles, exhaustion, depression, insomnia, and amenorrhea (loss of menstruation).

Anxiety and Guilt: All the buzz about thanksgiving weight gain makes it seem inevitable. No wonder you’re anxious! But remember, you- not a pushy family member- decide how much food goes on your plate. If you really want to take small portions, you can. If you think you’ve eaten too much, do not feel guilty. Eating is not a matter of morality. Restricting yourself does not make you “good” and overindulging does not make you “bad.” Just relax, and savor every mouthful no matter how big or small.

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.