stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Why Bikram Yoga Should Be on Your New Year Resolution List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Exercise is very often at the top of New Year resolution lists; however, many fall off the wagon after the month of January or February. Bikram yoga is an exercise outlet that combines meditation, exercise, and fun. Keep reading to find out more and maybe give it a try.

First and foremost, many of you may be wondering what Bikram yoga is and how it is different from other forms of hot yoga.

Well, Bikram yoga was derived from the hatha yoga practice and was founded by Bikram Choudhury — a yoga master. The practice consists of a 90-minute open-eyed meditation of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises in a hot room with the temperature ranging from 105 to 110 degrees and approximately 40 percent humidity.

In comparison to other forms of hot yoga, Bikram is different in that it does not flow from one pose to the next. Bikram’s focus is repetition — enforcing the idea of daily improvement and truly understanding each pose and how it feels in your body. Each person feels each posture differently, however any expression of a posture is beneficial.

Your next question probably falls along the lines of “Why the hell would I willingly go into a 105-degree room for 90 minutes?”

Here’s the answer. Ever just want to sweat out every toxin in your body and feel like a freakin’ god? Ever have a bit too fabulous of a thirsty Thursday and feel like you need to be revived on a Friday morning? Maybe that’s just me, but the endorphins that result from a Bikram class make the suffering all worth it. Not only do I feel like my mind is clearer, but my body feels limber while also pushed to its limit.

Is it even a workout?

LOL, you don’t even know. Most people think yoga is just a trendy fad and an excuse to post half naked pictures on Instagram, however it is so much more than that. The health benefits of Bikram yoga are remarkable and very apparent. Bikram yoga has been proven to improve tendonitis in all of the major 14 joints of the body, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, stress, the lymphatic system (which is responsible for the release of toxins), and calms the mind.

There is also a cardiovascular element to the yoga in that the heat in the room automatically increases your pulse and metabolism, allowing you to burn lots of calories. Trust me, you’ll feel FABULOUS when you walk out of that room.

What if I don’t really like the heat and don’t think I can handle it?

The goal of Bikram yoga is to stay in the hot room. If you can do that, you have successfully conquered a Bikram class with flying colors. I know that the sound of being in such a hot room and sweating profusely sounds like a complete disaster, however, I assure you it is possible and when done — a huge accomplishment. Taking a break, sitting down, drinking water, and continuing to take deep breaths are always encouraged and welcomed. Again, staying in the room is your primary goal. It is possible. I believe in you.

Where should I go?

Bikram Yoga Davis is the place to be! It’s located upstairs at 1505 5th Street. Don’t be deceived, the studio is above a car shop — it adds to the experience. As a student, one class is $12 — a.k.a. TOTALLY WORTH IT — but, don’t stop after the first class. The first couple of classes are by far the hardest, so try to push through and go back the next day. I promise it gets easier as you continue to practice.  

So, see you there tomorrow? I thought so.

Cover image source: Pexels, Max Nikhil Thimmayya

Sarah Boro is a junior studying Communications and psychology. She attended the University of Washington in Seattle for two years, however her love for the California sunshine brought her to Davis for the next two years. Sarah is from the San Francisco Bay Area (along with half of the UCD population) and looks forward to being able to see her family more often. She has always loved to write and feels that Her Campus is the perfect outlet for a fun, creative, and a semi-informal writing environment. Aside from writing, Sarah enjoys spending time with her friends and family, yoga, and taking in the sunshine.