This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As college students, we often set a lot of expectations and goals for ourselves to achieve. A goal that many young adults have is to live a healthier lifestyle. Whether you are trying to lose weight, live more actively, or eat a healthier diet, it can be extremely overwhelming when you just don’t know where to start.

In fact, people’s lack of knowledge about nutrition is one of the biggest reasons why they are too intimidated to make a change in their lifestyle. If you are interested in making a change for the benefit of your health, follow these quick tips!

1. Exercise.

Exercise is such a vital part of keeping your body healthy and happy. Your UC Davis tuition includes access to the Activities and Recreation Center (the ARC), so why not take advantage of it and make the most of your money’s worth? Working out will get your heart pumping, your muscles moving, and your body stronger.

Create a workout routine that works for you (or ask someone for help in creating one!) and stick to it. One of my favorite parts of going to the gym is watching my body become stronger and achieving new personal records. Although it can be hard to motivate yourself to get up and go to the gym, I can guarantee you that you will leave feeling so good!

2. Maintain a well-balanced diet.

Image source: Pixabay

Put away the french fries and Hot Cheetos! As a college student, it is easy to fall into the trap of constantly snacking on junk food ‒ after all, it’s cheap and quick! It’s okay to treat yourself out and cheat on your diet every once in a while (A happy soul is a healthy soul!).

However, your body knows what you put into it and will react accordingly. Junk food can lead to fatigue, (unhealthy) weight gain, acne, and other negative side effects. Replenish your body with a well-balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, proteins, and other beneficial nutrients. Your body will thank you, and eating a healthier diet will make you feel so much better, making it easier to study and work hard in school!

3. Eat 4-5 small meals a day and don’t skip meals!

Rather than eating three large meals a day, try to eat smaller portions during breakfast, lunch, and dinner with healthy snacks in between. It is best to eat every 2-3 hours. When you are constantly eating, your metabolism works faster and you will be able to burn off calories faster!

Although it’s sometimes hard to keep up with the hustle-and-bustle of the college lifestyle, you should avoid skipping meals. Skipping meals actually slows down your metabolism and leads you to weight gain.

4. Keep track of what you eat.

It is really important to keep track of what you eat so that you don’t end up binge-eating an entire box of cookies. By keeping a record of what you eat, you are more aware of what you are putting into your body, and you are less likely to fall into unhealthy eating habits. I am currently using See How You Eat, an application on my iPhone that allows me to keep a photo diary of my meals every day.

5. Stay hydrated.

Image source: Pixabay

Water, water, water! Water is so essential for a healthy body and is the remedy to almost all your problems! Water contains no calories and no sugars, making it the best beverage you could possibly consume. Cut out the juice and milk tea for water, and you will definitely feel the difference in your body. Drinking water allows your body to feel more energized and is beneficial for your skin as well!

Cover image source: Pixabay

Rose is a second-year Communication major at the University of California, Davis. She loves Harry Potter, Disneyland, and spends most of her time either binge-watching Netflix shows or napping. After graduating, she hopes to work in the Public Relations or Advertising field.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!