This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Self-care is something essential that is often left forgotten and overlooked. Especially during this past year when we have been locked inside our homes, lacked social interaction, and adjusted to new norms, self-care can be more beneficial than most people realize. It allows us to take a moment to step back and give our minds and bodies what they need to continue thriving. While I am no expert in self-care, I do have some experience that has worked to lift my mood and standard of living lately. Keep reading to see some of my pointers on mastering self-care.

Give yourself 15 minutes of “me time” every day

I know this doesn’t seem like a lot, so, if you have time for more, do more! If you don’t, that’s okay too. But whether that means taking 15 extra minutes for lunch, or finishing work 15 minutes earlier, do it! “Me time” can look like whatever you want it to––watching Netflix, drawing, journaling, reading a book, doing a face mask, taking a nap, the list goes on and isn’t restricted in any way. Everyone is different and thus self-care and relaxation will look different.

reading bana
Photo by Fabiola Peñalba from Unsplash

Exercise

This doesn’t have to be a super intense workout, but it can be. Find your mojo. It may be going on a walk, a run, stretching, dancing, yoga, online videos, or something else entirely. Whatever exercise it is can boost your serotonin levels and lower your stress. Again, this form of self-care looks different for everyone, and you don’t have to be doing exercise with the mindset of wanting to lose weight. Exercise can be fun when you find something you love to do rather than worrying about the logistics.

Allow yourself to have that “sick day”

This one seems pretty self-explanatory but typically goes unnoticed. People often feel guilty taking time off but with the pandemic merging our professional, educational, and personal lives, it has been hard to take time away from the screens and the work. So, don’t feel guilty if you need to add an extra day to your weekend, even if you think you didn’t do enough work to deserve it. Because trust me, you deserve it.

Find a hobby

It sounds so simple, but it honestly goes so far. Finding an activity that you love and being able to focus your time and energy on it allows you to get distracted guilt-free. Spending time with a hobby allows you to forget about the stressful things that may be consuming your life and just focus on doing something you love for a bit. Hobbies look different for everyone, so take the time to find your right distraction.

Drink water

Another easy one. When we’re busy, or even when we’re not, it is easy to forget to drink water. But drinking water can make your skin clearer and also lead to less stress. While I am unsure if this is a scientific fact or not, this has worked for me and I highly recommend making sure to drink your 8 cups of water (about 64 oz) a day.

Spend some time outdoors

You can never go wrong with a little bit of vitamin D, or even just a change in scenery. Fresh air can help to relax you and get you out of a groove you may be stuck in. If the weather’s nice, I personally like putting on a cute outfit, grabbing coffee, and going to study or do work at a park or somewhere outdoors. It helps me to take deep breaths and be less stressed while still accomplishing what I need to get done.

Woman exercising with resistance band
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels
For a long time, I personally neglected to allocate time for self-care. However, recently I have begun taking this time to address what my body needs, and it has proven to work wonders. I feel more relaxed and understand myself better. Self-care looks different for everyone; it is all about finding what works for you. There’s no time like now to work on your well-being by taking the time to care for yourself.

Shira Blieden is a Genetics and Genomics major at UCD. She enjoys reading, and crocheting, and hopes to pursue a career in genetic counseling after she graduates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!