Remembering to Stay Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s easy to fall into unhealthy eating habits in college that affect not only your health, but your mental state as well. Being able to stay healthy in college can be very difficult, so here are five easy tips on how to stay healthy and happy this quarter!

1. Make Time for Food

There is always enough time in the day to both eat and study! Many people would rather cram in study time than make the effort to feed themselves, or simply forget to eat because they are studying. However, studying on an empty stomach is not going to help you retain information or focus properly. Always eat three solid meals a day. Also, some of you might not be eating properly because you feel uncomfortable eating alone between classes. It’s important not to rely on others to join you — know that it’s okay to eat by yourself in public!

2. Junk Food Isn’t a Snack

Instead of reaching for that bag of chips, eat a piece of fruit or a healthy granola bar (just pay attention to the sugar content, as some granola bars are essentially candy bars). This is a hard step, but once you manage to defeat the urge for salty and sweet snacks, you will feel good about yourself and have increased energy because of your healthy choices. Does this sound difficult? Don’t worry, after a while processed food just won’t be as appealing to you and the cravings will go away.

3. Don’t Forget Iron and Protein

This goes along with junk food, but be intentional about the food you select to eat. As a freshman, the DC is a very tempting place for fatty and salty foods. Much of the food the DC prepares lacks in protein and iron, which can cause serious health issues. Take my advice; I did not pay attention to what I was eating and eventually got iron deficiency anemia (not fun!). High protein food obviously includes meat, but also fish, cheese, beans, lentils, tofu, and nuts and seeds. If you’re looking to add more iron to your diet, make sure to eat red meat, dark leafy greens, and whole grains.

4. Everything in Moderation

Eating healthy does not mean you have to completely deprive yourself of treats, but simply to consume them moderately. Once in a while, treat yourself to a delicious cupcake or a slice of pizza. Maybe only after a final, since the entire quarter you have been eating healthy, right? Another way to treat yourself without reverting back to old habits is to make healthier substitutions. For example, choose dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, make a frozen fruit dessert to eat instead of ice cream, or bake cookies using some whole wheat flour for higher nutrition.

5. Exercise

Let’s be real for a moment: we all want to work on our “summer bods.” Exercising does not have to be going to the gym 5 times a week or run until you pass out. Get a group of friends together and play a friendly game of soccer or softball. Ride your bike to class. Take a fun cardio class. Anything that will get your heart going for at least a couple hours a week!

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!