nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Pros and Cons of Being a Worrier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In the day and age of fast-paced technology, ever-evolving trends, and millions of people surrounding us, it is far too easy to feel overwhelmed and anxious about things happening in our lives. My friends know me as the person who is constantly worrying about anything and everything, but I don’t think it’s such a bad life when you look at the pros and cons.

PROS

You always get stuff done…like, always

I recently had to undergo my first apartment search for the 2018-19 school year and to say that it was stressful would be an understatement. I spent about an entire week in constant panic mode because of various reasons regarding housemates and the fear that we were going to be stuck in a less-than-ideal living situation next year.

But instead of letting worry consume me, I made a lot of phone calls to strangers in leasing offices and made a lot of trips across Davis, and at the end of the week my housemates and I had signed a lease and were in the clear.

If we fear something, we are likely to do anything in our power to alleviate this fear. When we worry, we take action to reassure ourselves that things will be fine and thus, we are the people that take the extra precautions to make sure things run smoothly. In short, we get stuff done.

You are the mom of your friend group

I am that friend one who has period stuff, hand sanitizer, breath mints, gum, occasionally food (if I haven’t eaten it first), Ibuprofen, pens, pencils, markers, a piece of paper, etc., on hand almost always. I am the person who always checks that everyone has everything they need before they leave the house (on time of course) because, otherwise, we’d be leaving late which does not fly on my time.

Image source: Tumblr

Like Steve Harrington, you worry about others, often before yourself. Should crises arise, you are on your fix-it game lickety-split. When everyone else is flipping the bit and wigging out, you are, again, getting stuff done.

CONS

You are constantly being told to calm down

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this, I probably wouldn’t worry so much about my career prospects with an English degree (pun fully intended).

When you’re a worrier, it seems as though the rest of the world is fully content to go through life procrastinating and driving with the fuel gauge hovering above E in the red zone. At the same time, the rest of the world sees you as a soda that’s been shaken too much and is one twist away from exploding everywhere and thus feels compelled to tell you to chill out. All. The. Time.

Like that’s going to help anything.

As I said before, worriers do everything in their power to assuage their fears. If something is knowingly out of our hands, it takes a while for us to accept this, but others constantly nagging us about how we need to calm down does nothing to relieve us of our stress.  

You are chronically early for literally everything

This one could be construed as either a pro or a con. On one hand, you never miss your train or plane, you always get the best seat in class or the movie theater, your assignments are never late, and you’re usually first in line. On the other hand, should your friends decide to show up fashionably late to the party, you are the goof sitting in your car waiting for them because you don’t know anyone inside.

At the end of the day, the power to choose to worry is up to us. I choose to take the extra precautions in life and leave five minutes earlier than I know I need to in order to feel a little bit better about how I go about living my life in a fast-paced world.

Cover image source: Unsplash

Helena is currently a second year studying English at UC Davis and plans to minor in Professional Writing and Technology Management. When she's not furiously writing notes in class, you can find her answering phone calls in the Dean's office at the UC Davis School of Law. She enjoys reading, listening to music, writing, eating (lots of) food, and spending time with family, friends, and her Tri Delta sisters.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!