This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Every year, January 1st rolls around and we think we are going to achieve every goal and dream we have ever had in this new year. Most often, the new year simply ends up being like every other regular year. But perhaps not 2019!

This fast-approaching new year is going to be YOUR year. Below is a guide to help you form your new year’s resolutions to help you achieve everything, and more, in 2019.

Health

As young college students, we are reaching the prime time of our lives. However, we tend to neglect our overall health. Our bodies are our temples and we need to treat them like so! Because we are young, we act without thinking about the long-term consequences to our bodies, and this is such a bad habit.

For this upcoming year, make goals to uphold the healthy lifestyle you know you should have. Try to designate time every day to cook a homemade meal or include more vegetables into your daily diet.

Fitness

Hardly anyone I know in college goes to the gym as much as they know they should, but winter quarter is a great opportunity to start! With the cold weather approaching, it can be easy to stay inside and watch Netflix all day, but you know you are better than that.

Make a fitness resolution that is attainable for you and only you. If you never exercise, make a goal to exercise once a week. If you already go to the gym and work out on a consistent basis, make a resolution to work on the types of exercise you don’t particularly like, but are good for you. Besides, you don’t have to limit yourself to only exercising in the gym. You can go for a walk or run in the Arboretum or just do sit-ups in your living room. Just make fitness resolutions that you know you can accomplish and continue to challenge yourself.

Beauty

It is known that when you look good, you feel good. So why not make resolutions to make sure you look amazing on and off campus?

Make a goal to wake up 10 minutes earlier to put some makeup on before class or to straighten your hair once a week. Although it will be colder when we come back from school and we will all want to wear leggings and a big sweatshirt every day, try to wear a cute outfit a couple days out of the week. Or, find a new beauty routine. If you like it and it works for you, commit to it. People will notice your extra effort to present yourself in your best way.

Social

Naturally, we tend to get caught up in the same social routines and interacting with the same people. Yes, you interact with your small group of friends because you love them, but maybe 2019 is your year to branch out.

Your social new year’s resolutions can be to make new friends outside of your usual group or to reach out more to the people around you. You may end up becoming very close to someone you never expected. Or, your social resolution may just be to act kinder to the people you know and especially to strangers. We all need more kindness in the world.

Family

In college, we are separated from our families, dividing our “college lives” from our “lives at home”. However, it is important to remember where and who we come from and to not break off those ties.

I recommend we all make goals this year to strengthen our bond with our families because they are people who are always are there for us. And if you do not have the best relationship with your family, maybe this year you can work on that relationship and be the one to initiate change for the better.

Academics

It is important to remember why we are all here at UC Davis. It’s not solely to party or to be the president of a club, but we are first and foremost students who will earn our degrees.

Make goals to hold yourself to a higher academic standard this upcoming year. If you enhance your work or study style you may earn better grades. This could turn into a positive consistent habit. Make it a resolution to be proud of yourself for the work you have accomplished and for taking another step forward to earn your degree.

Don’t just make these goals, work on them and accomplish them. We are the only people that can change our lives, and these resolutions may be the beginning of the best year yet!

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!