samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Navigating Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For those just starting freshman year, do not be alarmed if you feel like a bird who was just shoved out of the only nest you ever knew. Having freshman year under my belt, let me forewarn you about the journey ahead. Each quarter is exciting and challenging in its own way and you are bound to find out that you are stronger than ever imagined.

During the fall quarter, you will produce and memorize a script for every introduction that will occur these next four years. Most scripts follow the basic outline of your name, major, hometown, and perhaps a fun fact or two. This is the quarter you also learn that midterm season begins after week 3 and continues through finals week. More importantly, you will learn how to use the bike circles on campus, an essential skill for your safety… and mine.

Winter quarter can be a dark time for many. The upbeat Davis atmosphere goes into hiatus and getting to class takes more effort than the previous quarter. The best way to prepare is to install bike fenders to avoid the “freshman stripe” and surround yourself with people to make you laugh during the quarter that may feel longer than any other.

Finally, when Spring quarter arrives, you will rarely see anything but smiles on campus. With two terms under your belt, you will feel much more accustomed to the pace of the quarter system. If your first two quarters were filled with homesickness, major indecisiveness, and life crises, the Spring will showcase all the reasons Davis is such a special place, even if you were unable to see it before. There is a certain feeling that the Davis community exudes that makes kindness contagious. Remember to stay safe on Picnic Day and enjoy your last quarter as a first year. 

Everyone experiences Freshman year differently. Some people get lucky and meet their new circle of friends immediately. For others, it may take many attempts before finding a place that makes you feel like you belong here. My biggest piece of advice is to not give up searching because somewhere on this campus there is a place filled with amazing people who will welcome you with open arms. Despite the many discouraging moments you may face, remember to be proud of each and every triumph.

Haley is a fourth-year student pursuing a major in Computer Science. When she is not at the library, she enjoys running, watching TED talks, and practicing her French. Most of her happiness in life comes from a cup of tea and a good book.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!