Wellness > Mental Health

morning vs. night walks: when & why you should take them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Coming out of a global pandemic and consequent quarantine, we are no strangers to walks. Chances are, you took as many walks as possible to escape another moment spent laying in bed and staring at the same four walls that made a makeshift prison. Trending soon after were walks with positive intentions that were meant to boost self-esteem and promote growth, called “hot girl walks”. Early in quarantine, I became an avid walker in my neighborhood and now follow paths even here in Davis, where nature is far more captivating than the rows of identical houses in my neighborhood. Walks really bring morale up and I often end a walk feeling a little more optimistic about the world around me. If you’re a novice walker or the only walks you take are from one class to the next, it could be because you’re walking at the wrong time (like midday in the summer when temperatures are so high it should be illegal). Although I could take a walk just about any time, here are the differences between morning and night walks and which one may suit your needs better.

Want to be refreshed and feel productive? I’d recommend an early morning walk. But maybe you’re not a morning person–that’s alright.  Anytime in the AM works, preferably around the time you wake up though. A morning walk really sets the tone for the day. It starts the day on the right foot and wakes you up before you start all the riveting events you have planned. Put in some earbuds and play some upbeat music to set the mood, or put on a podcast to gain an insightful, motivating mindset. Another pro of morning walks is that they get your body moving, blood pumping, and gut moving so you can look and feel better all day. This is also a great opportunity to grab some friends and catch up with them, maybe with a coffee in hand. Honestly, the best part of a morning walk is soaking in the sunrise or watching the clouds shift if you’re not an early bird.

Just had a long or stressful day? Maybe all you need is a calming nighttime walk. I will say that if you go once the sun is down, don’t forget to bring pepper spray or a buddy. I generally like to go an hour before dusk. Going for a walk at night, for some reason, is always more insightful. It’s great for processing and reflecting on the day’s events. If there’s a conflict that needs resolving or some difficult emotions that need contemplating, this is definitely the walk for you. It can calm you down and allow you some peace and quiet to be thoughtful. A walk after dinner can also really help with digesting all your food before you lie down, so you can wake up without a stomach ache.

No matter when you decide to take them, I highly recommend trying to take walks. It’s a great way to stay present and away from devices for a while. They are low-effort and low-strain so it’s a sustainable way to exercise and keep active. Walks are linked to better circulation, strengthening bones with minimal damage to joints, and lowering stress. Plus, once you become an avid walker, it’s likely you’ll become an advocate for walking, as I clearly am.

Karina is a second year Biochemistry & Molecular Biology major at UCD. Although she is STEM based academically, she enjoys advocating the feminist movement, having conversations about the political climate, whilst trying to remind herself and others to enjoy the simplicity of life through it all. She is passionate about writing what's on her mind in hopes that others can relate and find a sense of community.