Wellness

Mental Health in Our Community: UC Davis Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

This past week, an organization that I am a part of did a Mental Health Awareness week (in support of our philanthropy, NAMI! Shoutout to my sorority, Lambda Omicron Xi!). After going to those events, it helped me really understand how mental health and its surrounding stigmas contribute to UC Davis as a whole. It’s important to recognize the role mental health plays in our country, but also the smaller communities that we are a part of.

In a recent UC Davis study, in the past 12 months, 64% of UC Davis students felt an overwhelming amount of anxiety, 49% of UC Davis students were so depressed they couldn’t function, and 8.8% intentionally self-harmed. Every time I hear these statistics, it causes me to self-reflect. That’s so many people that are co-existing with me who need more resources. I’ve had my own experiences with my mental health, but when you look at the bigger picture in our community of Davis: so many people need help.

woman sitting in front of Macbook
Photo by energepic.com from Pexels

It’s important to know that everyone deals with different issues with their mental health, and you are always entitled to dealing and helping your own mental health first. Caring for your own mental health can consist of a lot of different things, but as a student, the necessities are so important. Make sure that you are prioritizing getting enough sleep, eating all the meals you normally would, and taking moments just for yourself (you are not only a student, you are a human that deserves to do things you love and take time for yourself!).

As a student, it’s really easy to lose sight that we are human, and I think that contributes to why our statistics are so high for deteriorating mental health. With our heavy course loads and expectations, it’s easy to feel as though our productivity and grades are all that matters. You are a human before you are someone who produces something amazing! Your role is more than just producing things for our society, and you need to allow yourself to listen to yourself.

With these statistics, it shows that many of us are struggling with some sorts of problems with our mental illness. It’s important to check in on everyone around you, and to listen to their feelings. Everyone’s feelings are valid, even if they are experiencing something different than you, or something you may never experience. Starting a conversation with people around you can help break the stigma; this is something a lot of us are dealing with and everyone’s problems and feelings are not insignificant.

Silhouette of two people
Photo by Tori Wise from Unsplash
UC Davis offers counseling services through the Health and Wellness center. However, mental health is not something everyone has access to pay for, or quite frankly, something not everyone should have to pay for. I just found out that UC Davis came out with a new FREE resource to those seeking counseling, which is called TAO Connect. It’s through a third-party service, but all of their resources are free to UC Davis students (which is something long overdue!). Receiving access and resources to help mental health shouldn’t be a privilege, it should be a necessity. I challenge you all to reflect on how mental health impacts the communities that you are a part of, and to start important conversations checking in with the people around you, especially yourself.

Abby is a fourth year at the University of California, Davis majoring in Human Development and Psychology. She enjoys music, spending time with friends, the outdoors, and writing.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!