This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There is no denying that college brings forth a plethora of problems that affect us in different ways. Many become overwhelmed with stress or anxiety, and don’t know where to turn. Fortunately, UC Davis has Student Health and Counseling Services which provides necessary help to those who need it.

North Hall, located on East Quad Ave. and one of the two primary locations provided by Student Health and Counseling Services, “provides campus health and wellness resources that enable students to successfully achieve their academic goals and promote lifelong wellness.”

At North Hall, there are two main services provided, while others can be found at the Student Health and Wellness Center in the CAPS Clinic. The first floor is home to The Mind Spa which is a great spot to relax and de-stress at no charge. They offer light therapy, chair massages, and peer support in the form of one-on-one, confidential meetings. The meetings allow students to release their problems, talk about what’s bothering them, and learn more about other helpful campus resources.

Students can often fall victim to seasonal depression during the winter months, but the Mind Spa offers many ways to get your mind off your problems, and help you re-enter a more focused, productive, and happy mindset. For example, Light Therapy “uses exposure to bright light to imitate natural sunlight, which can help improve mood.” Along with that, The Mind Spa offers guided meditation and relaxation audio files. The combination of meditative exercises and the quiet environment will have students re-energized and ready to focus on the important tasks they have ahead of them.

The second floor of North Hall offers counceling services led by trained professionals. With the goal of helping students achieve academic and personal success, councelors assist students in clarifying issues, explorings options, and learning how to cope more effectively with their problems.

One of the best services North Hall provides is individual counseling. Appointments are confidential, and free of charge to registered students. Students can simply call the office, and a staff member will help them make an appointment. After the initial appointment, the counselor will decide if short-term or long-term counseling is recommended. If long-term counseling is necessary, a councelor may refer students to a community professional. However, counselors are typically prepared to discuss and assess a wide variety of problems. They can help with academic problems, anxiety, career concerns, depression, family problems, loneliness, relationship concerns, stress management, and much more.

Mental health is extremely important, and is too often brushed under the rug. Whether you’re dealing with a reoccurring problem, noticing unusual changes in your personality, or would like support, schedule an appointment at North Hall.  

Visit the Website for more information and hours of operation

Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS): https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/about/north-hall.html

North Hall: (530) 752-3372

Individual Counseling Services Appointment Desk: (530) 752-2349

Health Education and Promotion (HEP): https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/hep/

I am a 22 year old senior who enjoys watching Friends with a glass of wine. Currently in the process of figuring out Adulthood. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!