How to Beat the Winter Blues in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the transition from fall to winter unfolds, do you detect a shift in your mood too? When daylight diminishes, and darkness becomes more pervasive, do you find yourself feeling sluggish or lacking the motivation to rise in the morning? Perhaps concentrating on academic tasks or maintaining relationships becomes challenging. It’s conceivable that you’re simply feeling a bit low. If you resonate with any of these sentiments, rest assured that you’re not solitary in this experience. What you might be undergoing is the seasonal fluctuation in mood and behavior, commonly referred to as seasonality or seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

It’s estimated that 6% of the U.S. population is affected by SAD. This condition can lead to significant distress and challenges in daily functioning, affecting both professional and personal aspects of life. SAD is classified as “a mood disorder associated with depressive episodes” linked to seasonal changes in light. It’s important to note that SAD should not be conflated with a diagnosis of clinical depression.

Symptoms

• Low energy and sluggishness
  • Insomnia, increased drowsiness or other sleep problems
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Feelings of worthlessness or hopelessness
  • Changes in weight or appetite
  • Losing interest in favorite activities
  • Sadness on a daily basis
  • Social withdrawal

Beating the winter blues, also known as seasonal depression, can be a challenging task for college students facing the dual pressures of academic demands and the gloomy weather. However, adopting a proactive approach to mental health can make a significant difference. Firstly, maintaining a consistent daily routine is crucial. Establishing regular sleep patterns, exercise routines, and meal schedules can help stabilize mood and energy levels, counteracting the lethargy that often accompanies seasonal depression.

Another effective strategy is to maximize exposure to natural light. Since winter days are shorter and sunlight is limited, spending time outdoors during daylight hours can positively impact mood and regulate circadian rhythms. Even a short walk between classes or studying near a window can contribute to increased exposure. Additionally, investing in a light therapy box that mimics natural sunlight can be particularly beneficial for those facing prolonged periods of darkness.

Social connections are vital for mental well-being, and combating seasonal depression is no exception. College students should make a conscious effort to maintain their social lives, whether through regular study groups, extracurricular activities, or simply spending quality time with friends. Social interactions provide emotional support, reduce feelings of isolation, and contribute to an overall sense of well-being.

Mindfulness practices, such as meditation and yoga, can also be powerful tools in managing seasonal depression. These techniques help students stay grounded, reduce stress, and enhance self-awareness. Many campuses offer resources such as meditation classes or counseling services, providing students with accessible tools for maintaining mental health.

Lastly, seeking professional help is crucial for those struggling with severe symptoms. College counseling services are often available and can provide support, coping strategies, and, if necessary, connect students with mental health professionals. By combining these strategies and creating a comprehensive plan for mental well-being, college students can better navigate the winter months and overcome the challenges associated with seasonal depression.

Ritu is second-year Cognitive Science major at UCD. She enjoys working out, cooking, fashion and spending time with friends . Ritu is an advocate for self-love, mental health and spreading positivity & kindness. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!