This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As children, we’re often taught to be kind to the people around us. I was personally taught to never say something that may directly hurt someone else’s feelings – “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it.” Whether people choose to follow this or not, our words can be powerful, and being cognizant of this is important. While this is a wonderful idea, and one we very much need in our world today, there’s something else there that’s just as important; the words we use to talk to ourselves. Upon reading that sentence your first thought could be confused. Did you misread the sentence? Was there a typo in there somewhere? The answer is no. Simply put – we’ve never been taught to be kind to ourselves.

girl with coffee and book
Photo by Anthony Tran from Unsplash
Nobody thinks about the language we use when we talk to ourselves. Do you put on a pair of jeans and think to yourself, “I look good today!” or is it more, “If I lost a pound, I’d look so much better in these”? As a society we’re always comparing ourselves to the people around us: friends, family, celebrities, random strangers on the street – they’re all fair game. We pinch at our waists wishing we could lose some weight and suck in our stomachs looking into a mirror, wishing it were a little bit flatter. Some days we even jibe at ourselves for not being able to complete the to-do list that we set for the day. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be healthier or to get the day’s work done, but the language we use to coax our minds to get there can unknowingly be detrimental to our mental health.

The words we use to refer to ourselves manifest into the way we see ourselves and that becomes what we believe we are. If I spend the Monday after a lazy weekend taunting myself for wasting time which could have been used more productively, that’s all my mind will be focused on: how I wasted my time. If I constantly tell myself I need to lose weight, use words with negative connotations, or put myself down for eating an extra scoop of ice-cream, that’s all I’ll see myself as – the extra scoop of ice-cream that I believe is sitting on my hips. Restructuring our mindset is important because only when we change our thoughts, we will see ourselves in a different light. Rather than internally rolling our eyes at our own behaviors, it’s time we understood and accepted our actions and tried to be compassionate with ourselves. Maybe last week was a busy, stressful week full of deadlines and all I wanted to do on Saturday was to lay in bed, watch a movie and eat some ice-cream. It isn’t the end of the world if that’s how I spent my day, and it isn’t a waste; in fact, it was some much-needed self-care.

lit candles at home
Photo by Rebecca Peterson-Hall from Unsplash

We need to be thanking our bodies and our minds for doing what they do and for showing up for us each day. Our internal systems work day in and day out to keep us alive, to keep the oxygen coming in and carbon dioxide going out, to keep us afloat, extracting nutrients from the foods we consume, and letting us exert ourselves, mentally and physically, when we need to. Our bodies are not machines that have on and off switches. We require self-care and words of affirmation, not self-deprecation and criticism. Today, self-care has become a strange phenomenon of extravagant salon appointments and luxury treatments, but they aren’t just that. Self-care can be ordering take-out when you’re too tired to cook, lighting a candle to fill your room with a fresh scent, or taking the morning off to do your laundry and create a clean and cozy environment in your bedroom. It can be a slice of cake, a phone call with a friend, a slightly longer shower, or even just listening to a playlist of your favorite songs. Self-care is anything you do, no matter how big, just for you.

These little things are especially important in the times we’re living in, and it is especially now that we don’t realize we need them. It can be easy to get wrapped up in the scary facts and figures we see on the news, in the rat-race of balancing virtual versions of school or college while maintaining good grades, performing the best at our jobs, or even being a good child or sibling or friend. What we’ve failed to recognize is that we’re living in the most unexpected of times. This is new to each and every one of us, and nothing we’ve experienced before could have fully prepared us for the year we’ve had. It’s okay if you’re ending the year at a place where your new year’s resolutions or goals aren’t complete, or if you didn’t accomplish all that you thought you would 12 months ago. Cut yourself some slack, simply for being here and for surviving all that you have. This isn’t a cheesy reminder to love yourself for who you are – it’s simply one to remind you to learn to be gentle with yourself and use your words mindfully.

Today, try talking to yourself the way you would a friend. Try being loving, caring, and understanding. If self-care sounds silly, or it’s never been your cup of tea in the past, even after a long day of work – try considering it now, after a long year of living amid a global health pandemic. Trust me, it’ll be worth it.

Person in a bathtub with lemons and herbs reading
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels

Natasha is a fourth-year student at the University of California, Davis double majoring in Psychology and Communications with a minor in Economics. She has a variety of interests ranging from marketing and media to human rights and policy and continues to seek opportunities to explore them. Being an international student she brings with her a unique perspective which she hopes to share through her writing.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!