5 Exercises Needed in Every Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For many college students, working out may take a backseat from time to time. The ideal hour-long workout routine isn’t practical in combination with all of our other obligations, especially since being tired the rest of the day isn’t an option. We may not deprive ourselves of a piece (or five) of pumpkin pie, but we would like to at least keep our metabolism revved up so we can avoid suffering maximum damage.

Here are the 5 exercises you should be doing to keep it tight:

PLANKS

This fat burner and body toner is great for strengthening your entire core. What does that mean? Doing this exercise regularly will help develop muscle support for your spine and reduce any potential back pain. It’ll also improve posture and mobility overall. Check out these amazing plank variations.

BURPEES

We all hate them, but they are undeniably effective! When you’re pressed for time, opt for burpees to work your entire body. If you can’t get that push-up done, modify it by releasing your knees to the floor to isolate your upper body. You should move through them as quickly as you can in order to elevate your heart rate and boost your overall endurance. For more of a challenge, use a BOSU ball.

PUSH-UPS

Much like burpees, push-ups work the entire body. Tighten your core, legs, and booty in your high plank position before bending your elbows to 90 degree angles. Come up, and do it over again. Remember, good form is critical. If you aren’t quite ready for the full pushup, rest your knees to the floor, but still keep everything tight for a maximum burn!

SQUATS

They might seem overrated, but they work! You can do them at almost anytime (I do them while I’m brushing my teeth or talking on the phone). If you want to work on strength, try doing your sets of squats with dumbbells or a sandbag. For endurance training, make your regular squat a jump squat.

ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS

Even though this exercise may be difficult if you don’t own a heavy set of weights or barbell, deadlifts are super effective for firing up your metabolism, improving your posture, and working all of the major muscle groups of the body. However, improper form with this exercise can lead to severe injury. Be sure to watch a tutorial to understand proper form. Also, keep an eye on your form at the gym by completing the exercises in front of a full-length mirror.

While fitting in a workout is still a struggle, having a plan makes it immensly easier. Knock out these five exercises to get the workout you deserve!

UC Davis Senior Orange County, CA English & French Double Major Writer, old Hollywood film fanatic, world-class shoe collector
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!