neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things Stressing Out UC Davis Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With every college comes different stressors specific to its campus. Here are some unique to the University of California, Davis.

1. Squirrels with no boundaries

The squirrels at UC Davis will approach you with as much vigor as the, “Do you have a minute for gay rights” people. They don’t run away like normal squirrels. They’ll look you straight in the eye, acorn in paw, and won’t budge until you crumble under their beady little stare.

2. Trying not to get hit by a bus when you’re biking

A legitimate fear. The Unitrans busses are like big, red, soulless bulldozers. They come out of nowhere and force you to pedal to the metal until you’re out of their way.

3. Trying not to hit pedestrians while you’re biking

Pedestrians at UC Davis have no concept of personal safety. They always saunter into the road right when you’re biking past some inconveniently parked vehicle that’s blocking your view. However, we have to admit–once we’re off our bikes, we do the exact same thing.

4. Figuring out which bin you throw your trash in at the Coho

Compost. Landfill. Recyclables. It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out, but for some reason all of the pictures, labels, and ecological pressures make throwing away your trash at the Coho a panic-inducing experience. What if someone sees you throw “Compost” trash into “Landfill” by accident? What would other students think?

5. The Death Star

Pan’s Labyrinth has nothing on the Death Star. You have to pack at least 3 years worth of food and water before going in, because there’s no knowing when you’ll find your way out.

6. TAPS

UCD. Students. Love. Parking. Tickets. Thanks. TAPS. :)  

7. Forgetting where you parked your bike

There has to be a name for the phenomenon that happens to Davis students when they bike to school, get off their bike, and then somehow appear in class with no recollection of where they parked their bicycle.

8. Crossing the street on campus

It’s like the Hunger Games, street-crossing edition, only–instead of being up against other kids– you’re up against speeding bikes, busses, and skateboards. Only the strong, the fast, and the determined will make it out alive. May the odds be ever in your favor.

9. Finding a seat at the Coho when it’s raining

Finding a seat at the Coho is hard as it is, but when it’s raining, crowded, and all the patio seats are wet and un-sittable–it’s a seemingly impossible task.

10. Not wanting to workout at the ARC because everyone’s bigger and stronger than you

It’s like they hire hot, buff people to exercise there.

Ariel Robbins is a third-year Technocultural Studies major with a minor in Professional Writing at UC Davis. Her dreams consist of attending graduate school for screenwriting or visual journalism, and one day taking a picture with Steve Buscemi. If you see her, you can almost always assume she is wearing Marc New York Performance leggings from Costco and aggressively craving Limeade from Trader Joes. Contact her at ajrobbins@ucdavis.edu
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!