This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

When podcasts’ popularity started growing about two years ago, I had made up my stubborn mind that they were things I would not find interesting, so I didn’t even bother to listen to one. Fast forward to now, I can’t get enough. They have become a part of my daily routine during quarantine and have helped my mental health tremendously. So without further ado, here are the podcasts I’ve been loving for the past six months … and soon, you will too. 

1. Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain

Emma Chamberlain—the big sister I never had. That’s how she makes me feel with her podcast, the first one I actually ever listened to. I don’t know about you, but I went through a major YouTube phase, and Emma was someone I constantly watched. So, when I heard about her podcast, I just had to give it a try and I’m so happy I did. She exudes confidence, is unapologetically herself and is so relatable. It’s as if she always knows what I’m struggling with that week. On her podcast, she is an open book and discusses challenges she goes through behind closed doors, as every human does. It is refreshing to hear her be so vulnerable, and it is a wonderful reminder that although her life looks perfect on Instagram, it’s not. My favorite episodes are her advice sessions, where she shares her knowledge on an array of topics from relationships, becoming an adult, mental health and so on. Most importantly, she has the perfect balance of serious and funny. Her personality and authenticity never fades, and I promise you will not regret listening to Emma’s podcast. 

2. This Is Temporary

There are not enough words to describe my appreciation for Lacy Hartselle, the creator of This Is Temporary. She started her mental health podcast back in May, and it is exactly what I needed when I was struggling due to the pandemic. Her focus is to end the stigma around mental health, something I am so passionate about. Lacy openly shares her life with bipolar 2 disorder, including all the ups and downs. Every week, she brings in a new guest who shares their personal mental health journey. It is so empowering and emphasizes that our feelings are validated. And at the end of the day, whatever pain we are feeling is indeed temporary. This podcast is one during which I love taking notes; there are so many important quotes and reminders that I have written down to come back to. Whether you are struggling or not, I recommend Lacy’s podcast because you are left feeling seen, heard and supported. She is so welcoming and encouraging, making it an essential addition to your subscription list. 

3. What We Said

First off, I feel it is necessary to say I’m listening to this podcast as I’m writing this article. Second, I knew I would love the podcast just by the name. I appreciate a good reference from The Office. Started by Chelsey Curtis and Jaci Smith, these best friends created a podcast intended to inspire and entertain, and they have done just that. You feel at ease while listening and their topics of conversation are always so interesting. They definitely make the audience laugh. Chelsey and Jaci speak about lighthearted subjects like travelling, dates gone wrong, beauty, Q&A’s, etc. And they also talk about heavier subjects like eating disorders, growing up Mormon and addiction. Be a part of their girl gang and listen right now. 

4. Girls Gotta Eat

I recently started listening to this podcast, and it has to be the funniest one from this list. Rayna Greenberg and Ashley Hesseltine, the creators, are absolutely hilarious. It is all about dating, relationships and sex from a woman’s persecptive. The insights they give are relevant to anyone regardless of age. They are so real and shameless. Be prepared to laugh out loud. Comedy + quality advice = perfection. 

I hope this inspired you to go for a therapeutic drive and listen to a podcast. Or maybe make yourself a cup of tea, get cozy in bed and fall asleep to some words of wisdom. You deserve some self-care right now, and podcasts are a fantastic way to feel less alone in a very isolating time. Happy listening!

Woman Listening on Headphones Facing a Window
Burst/Pexels

Kaitlyn is a third-year majoring in psychological science. She was born and raised in Southern California and loves taking therapeutic drives down PCH. She is passionate about mental health awareness, fashion, Harry Styles and making memories with her friends.