timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Best Advice: Health Habits to Start and Keep in your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Your twenties are a time to live it up, explore options, take risks, and venture the world. They’re also a time to get into the habit of practicing healthy habits that will benefit you later on. 

Your mission? Implement these tips right now! Your future self will thank you! 

1. Start fresh every single day 

Every day should be a considered a new start. Had a fight with your mom/boyfriend/ roommate that wasn’t resolved?  Had an awful day at work you can’t put behind you? Today’s a new day, approach it with new eyes. Commit to resolving the issue if it’s important to you, or move on from it if it’s small or petty. Giving yourself a few hours of distance from the problem will help you realize how insignificant it may be. 

2. Drink more water

Sounds obvious, right? It’s not. Most people still do not drink enough water despite reading about the benefits of water and why it’s important for our bodies (like boosting mood, making us look more awake, tightening out skin, or helping us lose weight). Water can be boring, so for those of you that find the taste too plain, consider adding fruit to give it something extra. 

3. Stop beating yourself up   

If you’re constantly obsessing over every little thing that happens at school, at home, at work, or in your social life, address the matter head on and move forward. Dwelling on these things can only add extra anxiety in your life. 

4. Exercise doesn’t have to be a big time commitment 

Although many of us claim that we don’t have enough time to exercise, exercise is one of the biggest health habits to start now. Time is not an excuse. In fact, short but frequent bouts of exercise can yield major health benefits. Other excuses that I constantly hear are gym related: “but I don’t have a gym membership” or “I don’t like to go to the gym.” Guess what? There are many ways you can sneak in a workout without going to the gym! If the gym is not your thing, try signing up for a trendy group class or tune into YouTube and follow workout videos in the comfort of your room. Find something you actually enjoy doing and stick to it!

5.  Eat whole and healthy Foods as much as you can 

Want to avoid taking vitamin supplements? Eating healthy foods is the best way to get your vitamins. It’s key to eat plenty of leafy greens, lean proteins, good fats, and complex carbs. These nutrients help keep our blood levels in check and helps create feel-good serotonin. Don’t know how to cook with these nutritious ingredients? Commit yourself to learning how to cook a few healthy meals.  

6. Prevent sun damage 

While we all enjoy a little ray of sunshine every now and then, it can also be harmful in excess. Although exposure to the sun provides us with Vitamin D, too much can cause damage, like wrinkles or skin cancer. Protect yourself from sun damage by wearing SPF everyday – yes, even when it’s cloudy. If you don’t like the smell of sunscreen, invest in a moisturizer or face makeup with an SPF of 15 or more. You can also prevent sun damage by wearing wide brimmed hats and clothing that protects your skin from the sun, as well as by limiting your exposure time (especially during peak hours). 

7. Skin care: serums and creams 

It’s never too early to start taking care of your skin. Our skin gets exposed to chemicals every day that can age or damage our skin through the air, products we use, and even the food we eat. Remove your make up every night (do this even when you are very, very tired, trust me), and wash your face with a gentile cleanser suitable for your skin type. Don’t have wrinkles, uneven skin tone, or spots? It’s still a good idea to invest in creams or serums for these problems even if you currently don’t have them. Prep your skin early and prevent skin problems in the future.     

8. Stand up for yourself

Not speaking up for fear of coming off as aggressive is one of the most unhealthiest habits you can have. Be clear about why you’re feeling a certain way. Don’t complain, but be concise and firm. 

9. Put down your phone  

Not only is it incredibly rude to always be on your phone, spending too much time on your digital devices can disrupt sleep. Staring at your mobile screen before bed causes you to take longer to reach deeper stages of sleep. Instagram can wait until morning.  

10. Don’t skim on sleep

Skipping on shut-eye doesn’t just leave you exhausted, it comes with a host of health concerns. Read my last article on the importance of getting enough rest and see for yourself. 

11. The doctor will see you now 

To really stay on top of your health, it’s important to see a physician. Get your body checked out every few months to see how you are doing physically. If you have medical insurance, take advantage of it and see a general physician and specialists to help take care of your body. Don’t forget to take care of your mental health as well. We carry a lot of stress in our daily lives and it can take a major toll on our minds. Though there is a stigma that accompanies mental health issues, we shouldn’t let that stop us in seeking professional help. 

12. Listen to your body 

Our body signals us when we’re over worked, under stress, low on nutrients, in need of relaxation, etc. Pay attention to what it’s trying to say. If we take the time to listen or read our bodies, we can figure out what to do in order to restore homeostasis. 

13. Love the skin you’re in 

Your body does a ton for you, even though you may not be thrilled with every aspect of it. Learn to appreciate your body and you’ll be so much happier and healthier. It’s a big confidence booster too! You have one body: take care of it, love it, appreciate it.  

Some of these habits will be hard to start, but if practiced often, over time they will become easier for you. As cliché as it sounds, whatever you do now will affect you later on in life. So engage in a healthier lifestyle, you’ll thank yourself later. 

Esmeralda is a transfer student studying Psychology & Social Behavior at UC Irvine. She enjoys reading, dancing, cooking/baking, and has an interest in all things fashion/art related.
...