This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Hi everyone, and thank you for joining me in the first installment of “Lunch with Lulu!” As the first month of the new year comes to a close, I have to remind myself of the New Year’s resolution I set for myself which I’m sure many of us have come across at one time or another: lose weight. I’ve struggled with this resolution because of one reason only, and that is I love food. I love it all: candy, fruits, veggies, proteins, and so on, but you know what is included in all of that? Fast food. I have to say that I do enjoy a good burger from a drive thru and, as one of many busy college students, I’m sure there are others out there who understand the convenience of fast food in between classes, studying, work, or whatever else you may have going on. I’m here to say, “No more!” I grew up with a lot of time spent in the kitchen with my mom and she taught me a number of things and I’ve decided to really put them to the test this year.

Now some people with little to no cooking experience may find working in the kitchen a little scary, but it is really all about having fun. I either listen to some music (probably some Florence and the Machine) or watch something on Netflix like “Worst Cooks in America.” Something about that show always makes me feel a bit better about my cooking. Another key to cooking is using fresh ingredients. Cooking with fruits and vegetables is not only a healthier alternative to slapping a piece of lettuce and tomato in between a burger bun, but the fragrances that fill up your home really help perk you up and excite you for what you are about to enjoy.

So for my first lunch dish—which is really more of a dinner dish—I made chicken and pasta. I did cheat a bit by not making my pesto from scratch but we’re college students, so we can’t make everything as well as Bobby Flay or Anne Burrell and we don’t always have the time, right?

Pesto Rotini

½ red bell pepper into strips

½ orange bell pepper into strips

1 box whole wheat Rotini (or your pasta of choice)

¼ onion cut julienne

2 diced garlic cloves

Small bunch of Italian Parsley, roughly chopped

1 small container of Pesto

Cook the bell peppers first for about five minutes on medium, then add the onion and garlic and keep cooking until onion is soft and garlic is cooked down. Do not let the onion or garlic burn; it will become extremely bitter. Toss in the roughly chopped parsley and cook it all down for about two more minutes. Make sure to have your pasta cooked by the time you have all the veggies cooked down so that you can stir in the sauce and veggies while everything is hot.

Pan-Fried Chicken Breast

Salt

Pepper

Cumin

Corriander

I don’t have exact measurements for the amount of seasoning used; I guess you’ll just have to use your judgment, right? I like to make very small slits along the chicken breast to help the cooking process. Season the chicken with those spices along with a small coating of extra-virgin olive oil to help the spices stick to the chicken and rub it in. Cooking means getting your hands a little dirty. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after dealing with the chicken and try not to touch anything else to prevent the spreading of salmonella.

Triple Berry Balsamic Reduction

½ cup balsamic vinegar

8 blueberries

6 raspberries

5 strawberries

½ lemon for juice

In a small saucepot, add the balsamic vinegar, berries, and lemon juice, and let it come to a boil—but make sure to keep stirring. Bring the sauce to a low simmer as soon as it has reached the boiling point. The raspberries should be the first to cook down, and then the blueberries will become soft, and finally the strawberries. Your sauce will become a pretty purple color. It should be a fairly thick sauce that you can drizzle over your chicken. And there you have it—a healthier start to your new year! I’ll get back in touch with the next “Lunch with Lulu!” (Oh, and by the way, I’ve already gone down one belt loop by abstaining from eating fast foods and a little more exercise!)

Luis Lugo

UC Irvine

Luis is a 4th year at UC Irvine, majoring in Lit. Journalism and minoring in Film and Media Studies. His main interests and hobbies include dance in styles such as ballet, jazz, and hip hop as well as horror movies, dogs, burgers, yoga, tea, and roller coasters !
...