This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Eating gluten free is hard, especially when you’re in a new place. When I first moved to Berkeley, I had no idea where to start my search for good gluten friendly eats. Fortunately, over the past four years, I’ve become well-acquainted with the Berkeley food scene, and have compiled a list of some of my favorite restaurants.

Humbowl

Menu Highlights: Togarashi 2.0

Humbowl is a healthy, whole food-based restaurant in Elmwood — and the menu is 100% gluten free. The restaurant’s specialty bowls come with whole grains, veggies, and animal and plant-based lean proteins, but the best part is the sauce. From coconut curry to basil cashew pesto, the fresh flavors complement each dish, satisfying both the gluten free and gluten full crowds. Plus, most menu items can be made vegan — just ask for the legume mix on any bowl!

Way Station Brew

Menu Highlights: Avocado toast with gluten free bread

A low-key spot just between Southside and Downtown Berkeley, Way Station is the perfect place to grab a cup of coffee and enjoy some delicious gluten free snacks. The best part about this cafe and beer garden? They make their own gluten free bread! The food is fresh and reliably tasty, and the staff and regular customers are incredibly friendly. 

Freshroll

Menu Highlights: The Freshroll Bowl with tofu and NamNam Sauce

Freshroll on Telegraph Ave. is quick, convenient, and satisfying for the gluten free crowd. All of the proteins, veggies, and toppings are gluten free, and many of the sauces are as well! The menu standout is the secret NamNam sauce, which pairs well with many of the different bowls. Plus, FreshRoll offers Vietnamese coffee and mint jasmine lychee tea — perfect to pair with any meal!

Ike’s Love & Sandwiches

Menu Highlights: Sometimes I’m A Vegetarian with gluten free bread

Ike’s Love & Sandwiches has something for everyone — halal meat, vegetarian and vegan options, and even gluten free bread. Any sandwich can be made with the gluten free option; just be sure to look for any potential allergens with the other ingredients. My personal favorite is the Sometimes I’m A Vegetarian, which includes artichoke hearts, mushrooms, pesto, and provolone. 

Lauren is a senior a UC Berkeley studying English, journalism, and public health. She enjoys writing life, literature, and popular culture. Beyond Her Campus, Lauren edits for the UC Berkeley newspaper in the special issues department and freelances for travel and art publications. In her free time, she enjoys reading and going to yoga.