This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Canceled spring break plans? Currently indoors 24/7? Looking for some inspiration on what to do? If you answered yes to all three questions then you have come to the right place! Now is the time to try new hobbies. Here are some fun ideas:

1) Read for fun

As a bookworm, I know that during the school year it can be challenging to keep up with reading books for pure enjoyment. This spring break immerse yourself into a new world (or multiple of them) through the pages of a book. If you are looking for something new, step out of your comfort zone and try a genre that you normally wouldn’t go for.  

2) Listen to a podcast

When you are not in the mood to listen to music or binge-watch a show, be sure to give podcasts a try (if you haven’t already that is). Listening to podcasts is the ideal thing to do while doing chores, driving, you name it! With so many different shows available across various genres, you are bound to find something that you enjoy.

Related: 5 Best Podcasts About Love and Dating

3) Experiment with makeup

Unleash your inner MUA by trying out new makeup looks! Play around with colors that you would normally not go for, master different types of winged eyeliner, and the list goes on. If you need inspiration, head over to YouTube and check out the endless amounts of makeup tutorials.

4) FaceTime family & friends

Okay, FaceTiming is not a hobby but I felt that it was very important to include it. After all, maintaining communication with loved ones is extremely important. While nowadays it is easy to do with a simple text or even a quick phone call, let’s not undermine face to face communication. 

5) Make a Tik Tok

For the past few months (but especially these past few weeks), I have been addicted to Tik Tok. If you do not already have the app, be sure to download it ASAP, you will not regret it! Whether you love to dance or you love to laugh (or both), you are bound to become obsessed with the various videos on this platform. Don’t be shy to upload some of your own! 

black iphone tiktok app
Kon Karampelas
6) Try at-home workouts

There are various types of workout videos available online, including YouTube, Instagram, & even Tik Tok. If you are looking to target a particular part of your body, search up workouts for it and you are sure to find several videos. It’s never too early to start working on your summer body. Blogilates & Chloe Ting on YouTube are two of my favorites!

7) Have a Spa Night

Start off by playing your favorite music playlist. To create a nice, relaxing vibe, light up a candle (or more). Some things that you can do to treat yourself are taking a nice, relaxing bath, painting your nails, using a face mask, etc. Be sure to wear your most comfortable clothing, eat your favorite snacks, and drink some tea. 

8) Learn a new skill

Have you been wanting to learn a new language, how to sew, or how to do calligraphy? These are just a few of the many skills to try and learn. If you are looking to learn or improve on some resume-boosting skills then check out LinkedIn Learning. With many video tutorials ranging from topics centered more so on developing business skills, to more creative topics (such as learning how to use programs on Adobe Suite), I highly recommend looking into it.

9) Do Some Arts & Crafts

Add some new decorations to your room that you created yourself. With the help of Pinterest (aka the best place for inspiration), you are sure to find many ideas for a fun project! Some fun ideas are painting and decorating a picture frame, making a photo collage to showcase your favorite memories or even for inspiration, turning a mason jar into a cute pencil holder, and the list goes on!

10) Try Yoga

As one of the most relaxing things for your mind and for your body, yoga is definitely something to try out! There are various benefits to doing yoga, including improving flexibility and endurance. 

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega
Stay safe and don’t forget to wash your hands for 20 seconds!

Brianna Astorga

UC Berkeley '21

Brianna is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Media Studies and Sociology. She loves binge watching shows on Netflix, reading fantasy novels, and is obsessed with Taylor Swift's latest album.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!