Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

A Nervous Girls Guide to Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Therapy, a dynamic word with an incredible amount of luggage attached. As a woman in my 20s, I have sought out and participated in therapy. I’ll be honest, it was terrifying deciding that it was time that I do it, and even more so when I debated how and where I was going to start. If you have decided that you would like to take a step for yourself and begin therapy, I am proud of you. Therapy, “…in its broadest sense, …guides people toward greater self-awareness, self-empowerment and toward happier and more fulfilling lives.” So, as one myself, here is a nervous girl’s guide to therapy because you should know that you’re not alone. 

What Kind of Therapy

There are many types of therapy, the most common being talk therapy. This includes Psychodynamic therapy, combating negative patterns of behaviour deriving from past experiences in order to overcome them. This form of therapy is found to be helpful for those suffering from anxiety, depression, BPD and other personality disorders. The other common talk therapy is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, where the therapist will help you discover unhealthy thought patterns and adjust the mind to be more healthy and constructive. If you find these aren’t for you, there are many other types of therapy, including animal-assisted and exposure therapy. You can find them here: Medical News Today.

Finding a Therapist For You

Finding the right therapist for you is a journey, but a good one. Find a therapist first that matches your criteria with a focus on something you would like to tackle. The next part will be the hardest, but, I promise, it will be worth it. Consultations with different therapists before diving in will help you discover a therapist you are comfortable with, who you feel safe talking to and open to continue with. Often, the first therapist you talk to will not be the therapist for you. It took me a good few tries as well. Do not be discouraged; continue with consultations, there is a therapist out there you will click with. 

Going at Your Own Pace

Don’t feel pressure in your first few sessions to go at any pace that you don’t feel comfortable with. A therapist has no expectations of you, they are there to help so don’t feel pressure to be what you think they want, be what you need. Taking your time or trying to get it all off your chest fast is your decision, and different for everyone. It is okay to figure that out for yourself.

Take Time to Adjust

Therapy is not something most people will be immediately comfortable with. It’s okay to feel exposed or unsure for a while, this is something new and a big step. Give yourself grace. You must be proud of how far you have come by just showing up for yourself.

My name is Helena Howland and I am a third year at the University of Victoria. My major is political science with a minor in journalism, specializing in gender studies.