This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Gone are the warm, sunny days of summer, replaced by the cold, grey and dreary fall. The sun has started setting earlier, and the leaves are falling off the trees. With fall upon us, it’s easy to get dragged down by the change in weather, not to mention the piles of schoolwork. It can feel like there’s nothing to do but stay cooped up inside, longing for summer again. Luckily, fall has plenty of its own experiences to offer, and it can be a great time of year if you know how to navigate it. Here are some tips to help you keep your spirits up and enjoy the fall.

Get outside.

If the weather is nice, there is nothing better than a walk in the crisp fall air. Being stuck at home all the time is hard enough as is, so don’t deprive yourself of that much needed fresh air. Getting outside can help you clear your head and refocus (which is perfect for all the studying you’ll be doing).  Not to mention that Vitamin D is an excellent mood booster.

Don’t sacrifice your sleep.

It’s easy to lose track of time in those foggy hours after midnight, believe me. The last few months have turned my sleep schedule into a nightmare in which I often watch the sunrise and struggle to wake up in time for class. However, one of the best things you can do for both your mental and physical health is to get a good night’s sleep, and the first step is going to bed early. I know there are nights when that simply isn’t possible, not every night is going to be a perfect eight hours, and that’s okay. Just try to keep yourself on track as much as possible.

Make the most of pumpkin season.

Pumpkin isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but for those of you who are pumpkin fanatics, there are more and more pumpkin-flavoured treats every year. The fact that the infamous pumpkin spice latte lacks any real pumpkin can be disheartening, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any other pumpkin treats you can enjoy. For example, these delicious pumpkin muffins are super easy to make at home!

Try out a new kind of exercise.

Exercise does wonders for your health. It reduces your stress, and the endorphins it produces are fantastic mood boosters. If you’re like me and working out at the gym just doesn’t appeal to you, there are plenty of other ways to get some exercise. Some great options to try out are yoga, climbing (there are lots of climbing gyms in Vic), online dance classes, boxing or biking. Routine exercise helps you stay healthy and adds a bit of regularity into your schedule, which can help when the weather starts to get you down.

Unwind with a puzzle.

Don’t overlook puzzles just because they seem boring! There are few things more satisfying than fitting that final puzzle piece in and staring at your finished masterpiece. Puzzles are the perfect activity for rainy days, and they are great as a study break. If the idea of doing a puzzle makes you inwardly groan, try a crossword, colouring book or even sudoku. All of these help you destress while keeping your brain stimulated.

Stay focused on your goals.

As we enter the second month of school, the goals you set at the beginning of the year can start to feel distant and unattainable. It’s often easier to fall into your everyday routine and forget about the things you hoped to accomplish this year. The last thing you want is to lose sight of your goals. You made them for a reason, and sticking to them will make you feel better in the long run. Keep grinding, and you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

Pick up a new hobby.

I know many of us tried picking up a new hobby while we were stuck at home in March (breadmaking, anyone?). Then summer came along, and we didn’t need a hobby to keep busy anymore. As winter looms, we’re in for many more months of being at home, and a hobby is a good way to help pass the time and distract from all the bad in the world. 

Whether it’s reigniting your passion for breadmaking (seriously, if anyone needs a killer no-knead bread recipe let me know), learning a new language, or exploring the world of watercolour painting, everything is fair game. Hobbies also help you stay productive in the months when productivity tends to go out the window.

Connect with friends (virtually!)

It can be easy to lose touch with friends as you get caught up in school, not to mention having to stay at home. Luckily, Zoom comes in handy for this. It’s not the ideal way to hang out with friends, but social interactions are incredibly important, and there are tons of activities you can do virtually. You can watch Netflix together with Netflix Party, play games like skribbl.io and Cards Against Humanity, and host fun theme nights over Zoom. This can be a difficult time, but you don’t have to face it alone.

Hopefully, some of these tips will help make fall feel like less of an uphill battle and give you some ideas for how to pass the time. The move away from summer can be difficult and it can have some serious effects on your mood, just remember that no matter how you are feeling, you aren’t alone.

Sierra is a third-year student at UVic, studying philosophy, sociology and all things human. When she's not studying, she loves finding new spots to eat, spending time outdoors, watching crime dramas and roaming the aisles of used bookstores.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.