5 Tips to Deal With Finals Season Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

That time of the year is almost upon us—that’s right, finals season. Any college student at any university across the globe can tell you that finals are extremely stressful. Now that we’re all on campus again, the effect of stress is visible, not only on others but also within yourself. Even your friends who always seem to be on top of everything will show signs of both sleep deprivation and stress. This anxiety can manifest itself in multiple ways, both physical and mental, which means it’s important to practice healthy practices to deal with finals season fatigue.  

Here are five tips and tricks to keep your body and mind balanced and ready to take on finals season.

Take a social media detox

In the age of social media, it can be very difficult to focus for an extended period of time—it definitely is for me! Social media apps like Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram can be a massive time drain. Losing track of time is inevitable while scrolling through your feed, something most of us probably experience daily. 

However, what you may not realize is that not only can social media be a mindless distraction, frequent social media use can actually increase stress levels. Studies show that those who use social media are up to 14 % more likely to characterize their lives as “somewhat stressful” compared to those who don’t use any social media. 

Honestly, when you consider how likely it is that you’ll compare yourself to other social media users, it’s no wonder that it can elicit negative emotions. When you’re already anxious, a stress–inducing distraction is the last thing you need. 

When studying for finals, try and avoid the urge to reach for your phone during those five–minute breaks. Obviously, you can’t cut all contact with the outside world, but maybe it’s best to set some rules for yourself—limit using certain apps at certain times or limit your screen time in an effort to increase productivity and decrease stress. 

Manage your time effectively

If your to–do list seems like it’s a mile long, then your stress levels are more likely to skyrocket. After all, it can feel like you have endless tasks, and you’re facing the impossible. This is where time management comes into play. When you manage your time properly, you maximize the amount of time you have to do certain tasks.

Before you even start studying, it’s beneficial to create a study timetable and take all of the guesswork away. If, like me, Google calendar simply isn’t cutting it for you, consider downloading apps like focus booster or 30/30 to help you with your time management. 

Get your sleep in

Whenever you have a lot on your plate, sleep is one of the first things to go. However, as tempting as they may be, avoid all–nighters at all costs. Sleep has a complicated but strong relationship to stress. A lack of sleep can cause an increase in stress, but an increase in stress can also lead to a lack of sleep

The solution is simple in theory but can be difficult in practice—simply sleep more. To make the task easier, however, there are a few things you can do, like avoiding caffeine in the afternoon to evening hours, as well as avoiding very sugary foods in the later hours of the evening. 

Make time to exercise 

While you may not have time to hit the gym for an hour every day, taking as little as ten minutes to do some form of exercise or take a walk can have a huge positive effect on your stress levels. In fact, according to the ADAA, the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, a ten–minute walk may even relieve as much stress as an intense 45–minute workout session.

On top of the exercise benefits, I find that it’s always beneficial to go on a walk to get some fresh air and clear your mind, so that you can have a refreshed view of whatever you’re studying. 

Stay connected to people in your life

Even though finals season can feel extremely isolating, something to keep in mind is that you’re not alone. Anytime you feel like the stress may be getting the best of you, take a break and talk to someone. Whether this means a walk or a quick coffee catchup, the odds are that a chat with someone once in a while will improve your focus. Even if it doesn’t, your overall mental health is more important than a grade. 

Stress is unavoidable during finals, but with healthy coping mechanisms, alongside a strong support system, there’s no task too big to tackle. At the end of the day, finals season is just a few weeks, and within the grand scheme of things, maintaining your overall mental health will have more long–term importance than your grades. 

Aidah is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania. She is a planning on majoring in Biology.