books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

In today’s world there is an app for literally everything, or as people say “There’s an app for that!” Anything and everything you need, can be done through apps which is great because it saves a lot of time and energy. Many apps are also free so you can download as many as you want, without having to worry about wasting money if you don’t end up liking them. The one problem with apps is that there are so many out there, that it can sometimes be overwhelming. When you search for an exercise app and 500 different options come up, it’s a little much.

Luckily I’ve done the searching for you and discovered ten amazing and free apps for students! Check out my recommendations below:

1. Brightspace Pulse (a.k.a. the app version of Brightspace)

Having Brightspace in the form of an app is much easier and quicker to use, than having to log in each session on a computer. You can also make documents and posts available offline, so you can catch up on readings or review documents even if you don’t have internet. 

2. OC Transpo – MyTransit / MonTransport

Having the OC Transpo app is essential for any uOttawa student. Use it to plan your route, check schedule times or to find the nearest bus stop to your location. The app also gives you live updates for detours and cancellations as well as real time predictions for your bus’ arrival using GPS data. 

3. Meal Planner Pal

Meal Planner Pal is a customizable meal planning tool. You can build a plan using the basics or include more information like how many calories you want to intake per day or how many servings of fruits and vegetables. The app has other great features like creating a grocery list where you can calculate the cost of your groceries, creating a meal library or setting reminders to defrost food or what you planned to eat that day. You’ll never have to ask, “I wonder what I should have for dinner tonight?” ever again! 

4. Seven – 7 Minute Workout

With all of the midterms and papers you have due, who has the time for an hour long workout? The Seven app gives you workout plans with the maximum benefit in the shortest amount of time. Using the app you can workout anywhere because no equipment is needed! You can even compete with your friends for encouragement and support or set up your own personal plans depending on your goals and fitness level!

5. Alarmy – Alarm Clock

Are getting up for your 8:30am lectures impossible? Do you hit snooze 10 times before you eventually stumble out of bed? If so, then Alarmy is the alarm clock for you! Known as “the most annoying alarm clock”, Alarmy makes you solve a math problem, shake your phone or get out of bed and take a picture of a registered place for the alarm to turn off. You’ll never be late again!

Tip: good places to register include the bathroom sink, front door, a specific object in your kitchen or any other place as far away from your bed as possible! 

6. Easy Bib 

Create any bibliography you need using Easy Bib! Whether its APA, MLA, Chicago, ASA, AMA, CSE or ACS they’ve got you covered! Just type in the title and author of the book or journal and they’ll do the rest. You can also scan the barcodes of books to create citations instantly. 

7. Circle of 6 

Circle of 6 is a personal safety app that lets you add six trusted friends to your circle. If you get into an uncomfortable or risky situation use the app to automatically send a preprogrammed message to your friends with your exact location. It’s quick and discreet, all you have to do is tap your phone two times. The app can also connect you to 24 hour hotlines for safety and information as well as sexual health resources. 

8. Class Timetable

Class Timetable helps you to keep track of your class schedule as well as when assignments are due, what you have left to do for homework and what you have coming up in the next couple of weeks. You can set the app to give you reminders for when and where your classes are, so you’ll never be late or walk into the wrong classroom ever again! 

9. GoConqr

GoConqr is for those students who love to make flashcards, quizzes, mind-maps, slides or notes when they’re studying. The app also has a social learning aspect where you can find and join other learning groups from people around the world who are learning the same things as you. You can access other user’s learning resources, engage in group discussions, post images or get instant advice and feedback. 

10. Bear  

Bear is a great app for visual learners or people who like to physically write lists and reminders. Bear lets you write notes, prose, code and you can even draw! It also keeps all of your notes organized and lets you store them in folders using hashtags. Whether you’re making to do lists or just doodling, this app is for you!

What app recommendations do you have for students? Share down below or tweet us at @HCuOttawa! 

Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.