Pet Therapy: Little Healing Balls of Fur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Pet therapy is a growing trend. Pets are being utilized in both medical and non-medical settings alike for different physical and psychological health benefit purposes.

Physical Health
Many studies are still examining pet therapy’s benefits; however, so far, the following has been observed: pet therapy has been shown to lower blood pressure, improve cardiovascular health, release endorphins (oxytocin), and diminish overall physical pain. The act of petting an animal itself produces a sense of relaxation and calmness!

Mental Health
There are several mental health benefits as well. Pet therapy tends to reduce stress, boost self-esteem, improve mood, and improve communication skills. It has also proven helpful with challenging psychological disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and autism. Even dementia studies have reported improved social activity between patients, improved verbal communication, and greater attentiveness.                                                                                                        

This therapy has been proven very beneficial in various settings and situations. Patients hospitalized for heart failure, patients in long-term care facilities, and patients receiving cancer treatment have all found it helpful.

Pet therapy services are provided in community centres and universities to alleviate stress and anxiety.  On our campus in Ottawa, it is provided by the uOttawa Health Promotion team! This service is provided for students weekly on Fridays between 11am and 12pm at 90U in the Lounge, room 152 (unless otherwise noted).

If you have a pet at home, make sure to go cuddle and play a bit! Your health is most important after all!

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9