rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Let’s Talk About SAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s only 4 pm … late afternoon. You have your entire evening ahead of you and lots of hours left in the day to be productive. But yet you’re filled with certain dread because you know within the next hour, the sun will disappear and it will become as dark as the middle of the night outside. It’s hard to feel motivated when it feels like 11 pm before you’ve even eaten dinner.

But winter is filled with so much joy! You might think to yourself. This is the best time of year! The holidays are approaching, you have a break from school. The first snowfall is always magical and beautiful. You get to reunite with loved ones. Outdoor activities at this time of year are fun! Christmas lights look beautiful. There’s something peaceful and calming about watching the snow fall under a streetlight. 

At the same time, you’re ready to end your day as soon as the sun goes down. Most of the time, you just want to crawl into bed. It’s difficult to find the motivation to go out or leave the house. You wake up and it’s still dark outside. You leave school or work and it’s already dark. You find yourself feeling overwhelmingly sad. 

Let’s talk about SAD. 

SAD, which stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder, is also commonly known as seasonal depression. People may experience mood changes and symptoms similar to depression, typically in fall or winter months when there is less sunlight. Symptoms include having low energy, feeling hopeless, having trouble sleeping, having difficulty concentrating, feeling sluggish, and social withdrawal to name a few. 

Shorter amounts of sunlight and spending most of our days in darkness can be difficult and have a negative effect on anyone. The important thing to know about Seasonal Affective Disorder is that is very common and normal, and there are things you can do to help improve your mental health at this time of year.  

1. Light Therapy 

The most well-known treatment for SAD is the use of these light therapy boxes that produce a very bright light meant to mimic natural light, and filters out harmful (UV) rays. Researchers recommend it to be used first thing in the morning for a period of about 20 – 30 minutes.

2. Increased Exposure to Sunlight

If you do have to spend your day inside, try and get in as much natural light as you can by sitting near a window, or keeping the blinds open and letting in as much natural light as possible. If you have the opportunity, try and get outside and take in the sunshine during the day. 

3. Take Care of Your General Health and Wellness: Exercise, Eat Well, Try to Get Enough Sleep

As with many other forms of depression, taking care of your physical health can be a significant help to your mental health. Physical activity gives you a great boost of endorphins to improve your mood and helps your body feel healthy. Eating healthy food and trying to have healthy sleeping patterns are other ways to help you feel in better health. 

4. Stay Connected to Others for Support 

Seasonal Affective Disorder doesn’t discriminate, it can affect anyone. Winter is a time when we often feel we want to “hibernate” and people can seem to withdraw from the world. Spending time with loved ones is a great way to make you feel better and entertained. As well, talking to a friend or trusted person about the way you’re feeling is a great way to build a support network, and be able to feel heard and understood. 

If you or someone you know experiences Seasonal Affective Disorder, be kind and supportive! These cold months can be very difficult to get through. It’s important to know you are not alone in what you are going through, and that brighter days are ahead.   

Images: Thumbnail1, 2, 3, 4, Source