This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Midterms are no doubt one of the most stressful times of the year. Maybe even more stressful than finals (don’t @ me). Not only are you worrying about acing your exams (of which you probably have at least one per class, if not more), but you also have to think about getting to your classes and keeping on top of readings and assignments. All in all, I usually end up with a lot on my mind and usually more stressed than is probably healthy. Now I know that everyone is different and things that might make me relaxed might not work for someone else, but here are a few things I like to make sure I do during this hellish time of year.

1. Do not study past when your normal bedtime is

This is one of the things I find helps me the most. Everyone is always saying how important sleep is – and they’re not wrong! If I limit my studying to when I am normally awake and productive I tend to take in more information than if I had stayed up until 1 or 2am. If I have to wake up a little earlier so that I get all the stuff done that needs to be done, then I don’t mind setting my alarm an hour earlier. By taking the time to properly wind down before bed I find I am able to sleep better, and the next day is always more productive, so it’s better in the long run.

2. Be organized!!

That being said, in order to keep my normal night-time routine I have to be super organized. I usually take one day on the weekend to plan out what and when I’m going to study. That way I don’t end up with any last minute revisions that I forgot to do, or finishing an assignment that I was procrastinating at 3am because it’s due the next day. I also find that getting myself organized helps put my mind at ease. The boy scouts had it right when making their motto “be prepared”!  

3. Plan something that involves someone other than your textbook

While it might seem like the amount of tasks on the to do list is a bit overwhelming and you don’t seem to have ANY time at all for friends and family it’s important to keep at least somewhat of a balance. Scheduling a meet up with a friend or a phone call to a parent gives you something to look forward to. This helps to break up the nastiness of midterm season and can make it easier to get yourself through. Don’t isolate yourself during this time. It makes everything harder to handle!

4. Get your body moving

This is another one of those tips that tends to get thrown around ALL the time but for me it’s really true. I realize that not everyone feels this way but if I stop exercising I tend to get restless. I can’t sit still and focus, and I start to feel gross. Over all this doesn’t really help me study and get stuff done. While it may seem like those 11 hours studying and doing nothing else was a great idea and “Wow I’m sure I learned so much”, it’s most likely that I either wasn’t taking in any information or any work I put out was sub-par. Getting out and getting my body moving, even just for 30 minutes, always puts me in a better mood and helps my productivity. My dad always used to tell me, “The body feeds the mind.” At the time I just pinned it as one of the many “dadisms” I heard so often, but now it’s a saying I try and live by.

Now that you’re armed with all of these tips go ace your midterms! You got this!