Wellness

How To Feel More Confident At The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s February – which means the New Year’s resolution train is picking up! There’s no shame in the game if one of your 2019 goals is to workout more and go to the gym. Sure, it sounds basic, but there’s a reason why everyone wants to improve their health. However, going to the gym can be intimidating, and walking around like a 9th grader on the first day of high school isn’t a cute look. Here are some tips on how you can kick off your fitness journey with confidence and comfort.

Wear clothes that make you feel good

It might sound superficial but we all know the awesome feeling you get when you wear clothes you love. It’s the surge of self-esteem knowing that we look and feel our best as we’re ready to take on whatever is thrown our way. Why not carry that energy with you when you work out? Look for workout clothes that make you happy and confident no matter what that means for you! If you like showing off your abs in a sports bra and your arms in a tank top, you go girl! If you prefer more comfortable joggers and a loose tee, then rock it! Whatever makes you feel like you’re ready to kill your workout and allows you to move your body comfortably. You also really don’t have to spend a lot of money on workout clothes from high-end brands to feel good – especially if you’re just starting out with going to the gym. You can find cute pieces that are of decent quality even at Forever 21 and Joe Fresh. 

Have a power playlist ready to go

Pump up music is called pump up music for a reason – it actually works. Put together a list of songs that will get you movin’ and that you won’t want to skip. This will keep you entertained and energized while also helping you avoid having to pull out your phone every couple of minutes to change the songs and keep you focussed on your workouts. It will make sure you don’t get caught stalling on your phone while people wait on you to finish up with whatever machine or equipment you’re using. 

Plan your workout ahead of time

Nothing makes me feel insecure like walking around the gym having no idea where to go and what to do. Having a workout planned out ahead of time helps me move from place to place around the gym looking like I (kinda) know what I’m doing and a little less like a lost puppy. Have set workouts ready for each part of your body that you’re trying to focus on. You can write these out yourself or find some ready-made plans online. Personally, I think it’s best to try different exercises and pick out the ones that work the best for you over time and build your own workouts. I personally have ones prepared for legs/glutes, abs/arms and one for when I need just a quick full-body workout in a short amount of time. 

Bring a friend

Confidence is more likely to come in groups. If you’re feeling self conscious about working out alone – why not invite a friend to take on the fitness journey with you? I personally found my own confidence at the gym when I started going with my friends and its only made my friendships stronger (there is more time to spill the tea in between sets). It’s also easier to motivate yourself to go more often when you know that someone else is relying on you to show up. You and a friend can compare your progress, support one another and keep each other on track to succeeding in achieving your fitness goals. 

Take advantage of womens’ workout rooms

Women’s-only gyms are popular for a reason! If your gym has a women’s only section, take full advantage! I mean, nothing against dudes, but working out without the “bro” body-builder atmosphere is far more comfortable and makes me feel a lot less self-conscious when I’m sweaty and gross. As an added bonus, the women’s areas are usually less busy which means you don’t have to wait as long to use the machines you need and you’ll have more space to exercise freely. 

Take a class

If you haven’t really figured out your workout routine yet and are looking to get in the gym groove anyway, a class might be the perfect fit for you. Many gyms offer a variety of different classes from Pilates, to Zumba to yoga and everything in between. Working out in a group atmosphere can help you feel more confident at the gym. you can take the tips and exercises you learn in those classes and do them outside the class-setting on your own. Who knows? You might even make a friend you can work out with regularly after. 

Go more often 

Finally – and this is a no brainer- the more often you go, the more comfortable and confident you will be walking into that gym. It becomes like your second home. You’ll know exactly where to go, when to go to avoid rushes, and maybe even develop a handful of familiar faces to say “hello” to each time. Consistency will help you stick to your gym routine and push your confidence even further through your workouts. 

Now that you have these tips in your pocket – get your sneakers on and let’s get sweaty!

Aya Raouf

U Ottawa '21

International Development and Globalization student at the University of Ottawa. Passionate about the environment, animal rights, travel, photography and french fries.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.