This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Now that it’s mid semester crunch time, your motivation is probably similar to the amount you have in your bank account: ZERO. Every March, I pull myself into this rut where every time something else piles up on my plate I take a nap. Or I’ll spend an hour on my phone texting everyone I know how stressed out I am.

As painful as it is to admit, it’s just as important to finish the semester strong, as it was to start the New Year off with a bang. I’ve come to realize I spend a lot of time complaining about how much stuff I have to do and not enough time actually doing it. In a desperate attempt to pull myself out of this deep dark hole I have willed myself into: I’m going to tell you 4 ways to get your head back into the academic game.

1. Negativity Breeds More Negativity

Positive thinking helps with stress management! Reassuring yourself will make you calmer and less anxious about what is to come. Focus on what you can do now, this second and take action instead of dwelling on the future. Take a step back and breathe after you think something negative. Is it actually as bad as it seems?

Sometimes you can find yourself in this “all or nothing” attitude, where I feel like if I can’t complete the entire task- it’s not worth trying. Try thinking of it differently; if you’re used to working out for 45 minutes, squeaking in 20 minutes is better than doing nothing right?

2. Gratitude List

It’s miraculous what a little list of things you think are amazing can do to your mindset. Reminding yourself that education is a privilege changes your appreciation for what you’re learning.

Here are a couple of ideas to start:

• Cute dogs
  • Pizza
  • Hugs
  • Naps that are so good you tell your friends about them

3. Scenic Studying

Try cracking open your books somewhere new with a hot beverage on hand. Find a coffee shop nearby. I mean, if I’m studying I’d like it to be aesthetically pleased right?

Check out the Tea Party Café on York Street! It’s one of my favourite places to camp out while I’m making notes.

4. Schedule in Your Downtime

I always get paranoid that if I’m super stressed out, working on papers and assignments and studying I won’t have time to chill out and relax (which is one of my favourite activities). When I schedule out my school responsibilities, I also squeeze in some time for a nap.

Still having time to do the things you love keeps you feeling a little more balanced during the most stressful time of the year.

If you’re a to do list person, start out with that and then make sure you add something fun for yourself in there to keep you sane. A little break for some Netflix, and a facemask perhaps?

How do you get your head in the game?